Will Apple Watch series 4 finally have a different design?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by LoveToMacRumors, Mar 9, 2018.

1. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

2. justiny Contributor

justiny

I’m perfectly happy with the design as it is. I don’t want a round digital watch face (imagine a round PC monitor) and I sure as hell don’t want my watch band collection to become obsolete.

3. Davidglenn macrumors member

Davidglenn

I think that is if Apple did do any changes the bands would need to be compatible. They would upset far too many people that have invested in the watch bands.

4. bbednarz macrumors 6502a

bbednarz

The only change I would really care for is less bezel so the screen is bigger in the same size casing. Maybe a smidge slimmer, but that isn't really a priority to me. Whatever they do, just keep the same band connectors and I am happy.

5. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I think it will be basically the same. I expect we will see more from the OS than anything else.

6. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

If there are any physical design changes, I think they will be slight. Apple categorically is not about making drastic changes to their hardware, and the current design works really well for what it is. If anything, the 38 and 42 mm will remain, and perhaps additional casing materials might be offered.

7. axantas macrumors 6502

axantas

8. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68020

Same... and of course, Apple would never make a major change that would upset customers. It’s not like they would ever have a dongle watch band connector. :)

When smart watches were still a rumor, I was a big watch wearer and thought square would be ugly. Now I can’t inagine a different design and you can’t go anywhere or watch any show without seeing them. Apple made it an accessory as much as anything.

9. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

That depends on what Apple makes for internal advancements (Added sensors, Battery adjustments) that could alter the casing or outward changes that may have alter the form factor on the Apple Watch (Thinner, Larger display, Digital Crown, Ect) . Eventually, any physical changes show the evolution of the Apple Watch.

10. satchmo macrumors 68020

My guess is yes and no.
    AW4 might be slightly thinner and smaller display bezel, but essentially the same ‘look’

I also think there might be room for Apple to introduce a bare-bones fitness tracker. No apps, or GPS, but just a band to track steps.

11. Jackmichealkeen macrumors newbie

Jackmichealkeen

I think they shouldn't change the design as it works well and it being a watch you cant change as much like you can with a phone

12. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

Functional design? Aesthetic design?

I don't think Apple will abandon the basic rectangle. Subtler changes to case curvature, transition between case and display, case materials and finish... all possible, but none would be perceived as major changes. The biggest "change" might be the addition of a larger case size to the current lineup. The 42mm is hardly the chunkiest watch out there, and there's likely a market segment that might want "chunkier," "easier to read," or both.

More dramatic would be a different approach to the Digital Crown and/or Side Button. The crown has been a nice acknowledgment of tradition while providing substantial functionality. I think it'll live for quite a while. The side button has a less persuasive case for longevity. If Apple wants to eliminate one of those breaks in case integrity (for improved water resistance), I'd expect the side button to be the one sacrificed.

I don't see the band attachment changing anytime soon, either. It's a very effective design; no reason it couldn't endure for as long as the traditional wrist watch band attachment design. Band aesthetic design has plenty of room for change without modifying the attachment.

13. CLS727 macrumors regular

CLS727

The Apple Watch design is as good as it can be until they can build a Holographic Projector into it.... Apple Watch X. ;)

maxresdefault.jpg Mobiglas_extras1.jpg

14. rdavis41 macrumors regular

rdavis41

I hope they don't change it. I really do feel they nailed the design of the watch. I know it's not circular, but have you looked at fitness stats on a round smartwatch, you actually get smaller screen real estate due to those rounded edges.

15. brubeast macrumors newbie

I doubt it will happen for Series 4 but I think eventually there will be multiple variants of the Apple Watch just as there are variants of Apple's other products. Personally I would love a more sport focused version with an extra physical button devoted to laps and pausing workouts. This would make it a more proper replacement for a Garmin when it comes to serious workouts.

16. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

No.
    My thinking is they want to incorporate more health features. Sobusing the existing body my be more prudent.
    Then with the second generation of health refinement change the form factor.

17. Orangeman13 macrumors 6502

Orangeman13

18. Relentless Power, Mar 11, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I slightly disagree, I think there will be some hardware refinements for the fourth generation Apple Watch. What I mean by that is, perhaps the casing might be thinner, larger display option, maybe even digital crown refinements. I don’t see Apple dramatically changing the form factor and there will not be a round version.

Something else, if Apple has a spring keynote between now and June WWDC 2018, and if they refresh the watchbands, then undoubtedly we know the band port will remain the same for the Series 4 for those who are questioning it. It wouldn’t make sense to manufacture and release new watch bands if they were to change the band port altogether and then re-introduce new watch bands in the fall if they changed the port.

I Mentioned it before, Apple is very conservative with changing their hardware throughout their products and it’s usually in increments versus overhauled.

19. danny842003 macrumors 6502a

danny842003

I hope not I’m thinking I may upgrade from the series 2 this year but if my bands are to become obsolete I would probably buy a discounted series 3 instead.
    One thing I am pretty confident won’t happen is a circular design. It’s just not practical for displaying data, I’m sure Apple investigated the idea originally and decided against it.

20. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Fair enough and excellent points.

Looking at band inventory there are a fair number of bands out of stock/sold out.
    Usually bands update March/April and then bands and watches in the fall Sep/oct/nov.
    I am sticking to my guns on saying no tweaks to the casing.
    1. Having a larger casing of the series 3 without changes (that’s been accepted by the consume) will provide Apple with extra room with the shrink of current hardware and the addition of new hardware for health.
    2. Too early for any screen changes with the recent incorporation of LTE. The manufacturing process is more than likely achieving impressive yields, lower cost and higher throughout; ride the wave of profits and one more Christmas season maximizing revenue. Then in Spring 2019 start the production line for the new model.
    3. LTE is still can catching on. The carriers are pushing LTE with 0% financing, free activation and months of free service (varies by carrier). This is a huge deal for the carriers. Keeping the same model for one more year will help them (and Apple) to drive watch sales through other incentives.
    4. Then what we will see summer of 2019 ibestbuy will start having absurd (in a good way) sales on various models. (Psst look at MacBook Air prices there talk about inventory blowouts). Series three will then become what series two did. Best buy is the best indicator of a refresh.

21. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

Remove headphone jacks. Include notch, redesign music app (both to a lesser extent). And possibly more.

Never say never.
    That cool piece of s will be released in 2029. :D

22. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

I’m guessing if Series 4 has an updated design there will be very little in terms of new features.

23. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I’m actually fine with that if there are very few new WatchOS features. I personally would like to see some hardware tweaks, just because it’s hard to make an upgrade every year for the same Apple Watch design and a refresh would be nice to see. Not the Apple Watch design needs to change, but a refresh is always good to show the evolvement of the Apple Watch, especially after the same three designs.