Will AppleCare cover a MagSafe adapter?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sam8675309, Oct 11, 2012.

1. sam8675309 macrumors newbie

About a year ago, I had issues with my power adapter (plugged it in, but it wouldn't work; no physical damage) and I brought it to an Apple store and they replaced it.

I've had the new adapter for almost a year, but the cord started turning a weird, yellow color (near the magnet part). In the past couple of weeks, it's begun to fray (more like chunks of cord are falling off, also by the magnet part), there's visible wires which I've attempted to fix/hold together with tape. My old adapter didn't do this (and I had it for longer than this one).

My question is if I'd be able to get the adapter replaced. I still have about 10 months of AppleCare left. I'm unable to go to an Apple store, but do you think I'd be able to call Apple to get a replacement?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, they'll cover it if they determine it's defective. I'd certainly call them.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

4. Mrbobb macrumors 601

There been complaints of old Magsafe chaffing, so it's a known problem.

5. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Hopefully.. if the evidence suggests it..

I would think if it can be determined that the user did not 'use the cable as a pull toy' then it may well be covered as it may obviously be a safety Issue..

That being said, I have seen FAR too any people Wrapping the Cable around the 'transformer power block' in such a tight manner that there is no way it will make several years of service.. Wrap It Nice and disconnect the MagSafe by grabbing The Metal Connector.. Please.. :rolleyes:

Be nice to your tools and they will serve you well, for years.. :apple:

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

I luv the Apple's power wards but I do believe they missed one design detail. They should had build some sort of landing bay, a slot in the case for the MagSafe to rest in after it's coiled, that way it's protected. eMailing to Apple the suggestion RIGHT NOW. :)

I notice to some people, this is a *major* pet-peeve. ;)

Will add, Only If Safe to Do So. So this student reaches up the ceiling to pull the projector's plug, the stool was too low so he had a hard time and keeps trying to reach higher. The professor says "what are you doing? just yank the cord!" Student says, but my Dad always taught me... Lesson: not if it ends up sending u to the hospital!

7. Bennytsmithjr macrumors member

Lol! I love it! Thank you

8. sfxguy macrumors member

The cord from my old 2010 was fraying like you described, with chunks falling off all along the mag safe side of the power block. (Not like the recall on the connector, but the whole length of the cable.)
    I did not have AppleCare on that system but they replaced it anyway about 3 months ago.

9. old.school macrumors newbie

whoever designed this and their manager should be fired.

using a coax cable to deliver power is a stupid and moronic idea. i had to buy another one after 5 months. there is tension between the magnetic coupler and the sheathing of the cable that eventually causes the outer conductor of the coax to fray. it was shorting out on the unibody causing a lot of heat.

10. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

I tripped over my cable on a 2010 macbook pro and it ripped the wire out of the L magnet adapter that attaches to the laptop. I went to apple store and explained what happened and that i tripped. he told me the magnet should have disconnected and they gave me a new one on the spot.

I dont seem to have this issue on the air i bought it seems to disconnect if i sneeze near it. i guess the T adapter comes off alot easier then the L adapter I had.

I would talk to them especially since what you describe is a known issue. they are pretty helpful.

11. marsmissions macrumors 6502

marsmissions

What kind of idiot unplugs a projector from the ceiling???? Use the remote or leave it on.

I call BS.