Will applecare cover me?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by noakail, Oct 31, 2008.

1. noakail macrumors newbie

When I was in Iraq my screen cracked , so instead of shipping it back to the states I fixed(replaced) it myself.

Now my superdrive is not reading any disc. Did I void my warranty? Is there any point in extending applecare so when I go back to the states I can get it fix? The problem was happening before I replaced the screen.

2. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

They're pretty strict on their policies. For example, my friend who works at the Apple Store told me that if I brought in my MBP in for repairs with 3rd party RAM, they would void my Applecare contract. I figure that if they're that anal about something as trivial as a RAM upgrade, a screen upgrade will probably void an agreement.

I would hold off on buying an Applecare extension and go get it repaired at a 3rd party shop.

3. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Give it a try. If you did the repair well and put it back in the way it was before you touched it then they shouldn't even realise that the screen's been switched. They won't be opening up the screen to fix the superdrive.

4. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

They are incorrect, any officially user servicable item will not void warranty, which is ram in any system but mac mini at least, and HDD's in some, that item just won't be covered.

as to the screen, if they can't tell you've replaced it, probably not.

5. iBecks macrumors 6502

Parts level warranty, if the superdrive is faulty then that's what they'll replace. If Apple thought that the fault on the superdrive was caused by replacing the screen, which is highly unlikely, then they may refuse to repair.

Of course I doubt that they would repair you screen should that have a problem in the future.

The only way to find out for sure is to take it in for repair.

6. noakail thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help I also upgraded the ram. The only thing is I didnt buy applecare and my standard warranty is going to run out that is why I wanted to know if I should buy applecare. I'm not in the states yet

7. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

Perhaps you could call Apple and explain your situation. They might even allow you to bring it in when you get back without buying the extended warranty. I don't have any experience with this, but it might be worth a shot.

8. claimed4all macrumors 6502

That is the way I understand the warranty. If you screen replace did not cause the superdrive to stop working, then you are ok, but your screen will not be covered anymore.

9. nitewolfgtr macrumors regular

nitewolfgtr

I think if Apple can prove that the failure of the superdrive was caused by the replacement of the LCD, the warranty would be voided. Although, I dont see how replacing the LCD would cause the superdrive to fail. But then again, they can make up some crazy excuse.

I would take it into the store and not mention that you replaced the LCD unless it is noticeable.

10. isaki87 macrumors regular

Having third party parts does not void APC completely, they just don't cover the third party parts and the problems associated with them. So, if they find something wrong within the computer and they track it back to the faulty ram that you upgraded yourself, they can say that "since you altered the ram configuration, from a party not authorized by apple, and the problem stems from that ram, we are not obliged to cover it." So in the case of the OP, they just wont cover the screen, any other third party parts within the machine, and the problems associated with them. It will be very hard for them to prove that superdrive was a faulty because of the third party LCD.

Having said that, I have altered the ram in numerous apple machines and have had repairs done. Just recently, I had a MBP(2.16) that I received as a gift with 1GB of ram, that I upgraded to 4GB of ram, and i had the LCD replaced twice and they replaced it with a unibody MBP, custom configured with 4GB of ram at no charge...

11. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

That's when I wish my screen would break as well. Hey, I've got AppleCare!! :cool: