Will Applecare cover this?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by joshbing, Feb 17, 2009.

1. joshbing macrumors member

joshbing

So i found a a small crack on my macbook screen the other day. it's only about 1/4" but its in the middle area so it bothers me to see it and im afraid it might spread. I have applecare but the mb is only 10 months old anyways.

Is this something applecare will cover or am i out of luck?

2. schizoidwoman macrumors regular

On top of a steep hill in West Yorkshire.
    My understanding from similar threads is that, unless the crack is caused by a manufacturing defect (which is hard to prove in one-off cases), you won't be covered as it will be looked on as accidental damage!

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Cracks in outer cases are quite common and are covered by Apple's Limited 1-year Warranty. Contact your local Apple Store/AppleCare as soon as possible and get a repair order setup. Your crack on the MB screen needs to be looked at and assessed, before it gets worse...:eek:

4. canucksfan88 macrumors 6502a

canucksfan88

the whole accidental damage / cosmetic damage is a joke...

when the bottom of my macbook case was cracking, the genius told me it was my fault cause i was hitting it or something stupid.

just stand your ground, and i eventually got it fixed after 20 minutes of complaining.

funny thing is, this girl nxt to me had the same problem and the other genius said they would fix it. -_-

5. schizoidwoman macrumors regular

On top of a steep hill in West Yorkshire.
    That's pretty shocking, I thought they usually repaired cracked bottom cases because it was so widespread? At least you got it fixed in the end though!

6. joshbing thread starter macrumors member

joshbing

hmm good info. i guess i need to make the trip to the apple store this week and see what I can get before the crack does spread. thanks guys.
    but how will i live without my macbook while its being repaired? :confused:

7. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

They do. As with pretty much every other customer service issue in the history of corporate America, it all comes down to the attitudes and experience levels of the people on either side of the counter. If you're nice, and if the genius knows the ropes it'll get fixed. If you act like a twat, or if the genius is poorly-trained you might have a tougher time.