Will Applecare replace my keyboard?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ally1234, Feb 25, 2010.

1. ally1234 macrumors newbie

So about three days ago, I spilled a drink on my Macbook. I took the battery out right away and flipped the computer upside down to let it dry. After two days of it drying, it worked again. Everything is in working condition in the actual computer, my sound, webcam, and microphone all work but my keys are sticking really bad and I was wondering if Applecare would replace them? I know they don't cover water damage but the computer itself is working fine the keys just keep sticking and that sucks.

HELP PLZ :)

2. belvdr macrumors 603

You said it yourself. AppleCare doesn't cover water damage. The keyboard is consider part of the system, so that's excluded too.

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

I'd say that within 30 seconds of opening up the case they will see that the liquid submersion indicators (LSIs) have been triggered and cone back to tell you it will be a billable repair. So yes, Apple will fix it but it won't be free, or cheap for that matter.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

No, Applecare will not cover this
    Been there, done that

Will be a couple hundred $$ for parts and labor

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

DWT is a capital offense

(especially if it causes the caps lock key to stick!)

6. polotska macrumors 6502

Accidental damage such as this is not covered by either the standard 1-year limited warranty or the AppleCare Protection Plan.

7. erikislame macrumors newbie

Liquid damage always sucks but it never hurts to at least just ask the Genius Bar rep *in person* (not over the phone) if they're willing to do anything for you.

Apple does miracle repairs from time to time and it never hurts to roll the dice to try for one.

http://consumerist.com/2010/01/newb...-macbook-applecare-goes-above-and-beyond.html

Stories like this are not uncommon up and down the product line. Few things to keep in mind:

Don't feel entitled to this. It's a luck thing (sorta)

Don't be whiney and long-winded. Just give them the basics of your apple purchase history, etc.

Whatever happens post back here and let us know how it turns out.