Will AppleCare replace my screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by advres, Jun 30, 2010.

1. advres Guest

advres

I have the last Aluminum 15" MBP model to come out right before the unibodies. I bought it the day the uni's came out to save some dough. Got the Applecare and all has been good until recently.

Recently I have noticed some "stage lights" showing on my screen. It looks like a string of lights coming from the bottom of my screen and fading away the further up the screen they progress.

I assume AC will take care of it but just wondering if anyone has had experience with this? Also wondering if they would still have stock for an older model screen like this? If they don't, what would be their solution???

Hope you can see it in the crappy 3gs pic :)

Thanks!

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Same thing happened to my old MBP (2.2GHz, 8600m GT), apple replaced screen for free

3. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

If they are feeling generous they might give you a new laptop. If not, they might salvage a screen from another broken 15" MacBook Pro of your model.

4. easy-mac macrumors member

I would seriously doubt they would give a new computer for a little light bleed unless there have been serious issues with the computer previously. I just got my pre-unibody MBP replaced with the one in my signature and it took two logic boards, a display clamshell, a bad HD, and some serious software issues all in a period of less than 1 month for them to even begin to offer a replacement, and even then it was a fight.

OP, take the computer in and they'll probably replace the entire clamshell, that's what they did to mine when I had a display issue. As far as having stock available, they had to order mine, but they have plenty available. They basically replace the entire display and casing around it because it's shipped as one piece. I don't know if it's new or refurbished, but the one I got looked brand new, so you're not going to end up with something worse than you've got. Of course, maybe have them check out the graphics card too while you're there since the NVIDIA 8600GT is like a ticking time bomb, and who knows, if they find enough problems you may get lucky and get a replacement like I did.

5. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

Like others have said, they will probably replace the screen. And there is a small chance they will replace the whole machine if other problems are found when they run the diagnostic tool.

Which leads me to recommend that you backup your entire hard drive before taking it in, just in case.:)

6. stuf10 macrumors newbie

my screen failed after 15 months..not happy

We purchased a MAC book pro 16 months ago (17/03/09) and the LCD srceen has failed. It throws up lines across the screen. Apple are refusing to fix it as there is a small dent on the computer frame. This dent happened 11 months ago and the computer has been working perfectly until last week. The point here is that the LCD failed only after 13 months and apple are refusing to help with its repair. They have quoted $1100 to fix it. I feel they are using an insignificant little dent in the frame as an excuse to not fix this faulty product. We purchased an apple because we wanted a quality product and find our selves very disappointed by the product we purchased and with the Apple customer care. Any ideas on how I should get the screen fixed and how to get Apple to take some responsibility for this faulty product.

7. easy-mac macrumors member

How big is the dent (pic please)? If Apple decides the problem is due to abuse of the machine or something like a drop, etc. they will refuse repair. How many times have you tried to get it fixed? Maybe try taking it in again and hope for a more generous Genius. In my experience determining if something is under warranty really depends on the Genius. Did they make a record of your visit and make notes? Did they invalidate your AppleCare? If not go back and try again, or maybe try calling 1-800-APL-CARE and talking to someone. At the very least, if you got a real jerk for a Genius the first time and he voided your warranty you are entitled to a prorated refund for your AppleCare since they have refused service. You can check your warranty status at:
    https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

Sorry to hear about your problems, it's a real shame that there are some really bad Geniuses out there that can really ruin Apple's image. Good luck!

8. advres thread starter Guest

advres

So I broght it in yesterday afternoon shortly after starting this thread. They agreed it was an issue with no other signs of damage and said they would fix it. They asked if I could be without it for 3-5 days. I said yes and left it. They called me 4 hours later to tell me it was done! On the train to pick up my fixed lappy now :D