Will Apple's iPad fail?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by HolyGrail, Mar 31, 2012.

1. HolyGrail macrumors 6502

HolyGrail

2. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

I love reading these types of articles. What a douchebag.

3. VFC, Mar 31, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2012

VFC macrumors 6502a

These folks may be partially correct; just not yet. The functionality of the tablet and ultra-book will be merging very soon. Microsoft 8 paired with Asus, IBM, Dell, HP ultra-books will be released soon. That will accelerate Apple's plan to merge the functionality as well (if they don't upend MS and release a tablet/ultra-book convertible before the release of MS8).

Lenovo already has a convertible just waiting for MS8.

http://ces.cnet.com/8301-33372_1-57...d-laptop-into-the-ideapad-yoga/?tag=mncol;txt

So next year there will be an epic battle between the two giants in the industry. Both will have similar hardware and software.

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

You didn't have to go that far. Plenty of people on MR said the same thing; that Netbooks were the future.

Reality is most people are stuck in "today" at best, and the vast majority of new Apple product ideas look down the road quite a bit and are misunderstood by those who have obstructed view seats and can't see the entire football field. Sony, who practically invented the concept of portable music players totally missed the MP3. Blackberry, Nokia and Microsoft dismissed the iPhone's potential until it was too late for them.

The curious thing is that even still, with every new Apple product there are tons of doubters. Apple seems to have a knack for seeing how the future will play out but that future rarely jibes with present day which is why so many "tech nerds" find it hard to accept Apple products early on when average gadget geeks and consumers do not.

The ultra book is just a MBA rip off. How many years did it take PC makers to do this. Apple is way ahead of them on this front and to date there is no ultra book that is anywhere near as good quality-wise as the MBA. Also remember that it's Apple that led the Post-PC campaign. M$ is following along because it has no other choice.

5. HolyGrail thread starter macrumors 6502

HolyGrail

I don't think so. Everyone talks like the ipad was suppose to replace labtops....It isn't.....and IMO it never will be. Its a pick up and go consumable device...that just works. Many people don't care for the functionality of a mac or pc. So this device works for them.
    Like consoles...some people just want to put in the disc and play. While some of us want lots of functionality like a mac.

I like choices and options....So I can buy both if I choose....don't want to be stuck with just one.

6. VFC macrumors 6502a

Maybe so, but now that the industry has arguably "caught up", Apple will have a real fight on it's hands to maintain it's market share. The Android-based Asus Transformer Pad Infinity 700 is one example of how close the competition has moved up on the MBA.

I suspect some of the quality issues with the iPad can be linked to the increased competition for the ultra-books and Kindle Fire. If Apple loses the quality edge, and it's products are not that much different than their competitors, it will have to compete more on price.

However, the real battle is not the hardware/software; it's all about the on-line content. Let the "computer wars" begin......

7. VFC macrumors 6502a

What happens in a few years when the price of a convertible (tablet/ultra-book) drops to $500-$600?

8. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

Mobile tablets will replace laptops and desktops. The concept is that user devices will be more prevalent with consumers since they are easier to use and faster/better for battery life and usability. Advanced users will have home servers to store content/data. Most people will use shared servers/"cloud" servers in order to store their data. This may take until 2014-2015. We're still not there yet. We're getting much closer but there are a few key applications that are still missing before iPads can replace laptops and desktops.

Did the iPad fail? I would say, not yet. It's purposely omitting certain functions just because it's trying to advance the world towards a certain standard. There's choice so not everyone will agree that this will be the future but for normal consumers, this may be the best path to steer them towards.

9. HolyGrail thread starter macrumors 6502

HolyGrail

Not much....if they don't have quality apps (point on quality and not the dumb down tablet ones they have now)

There is a difference between Value and Price. The way I see it....Apple's goal is Value....While the others take shortcuts for Price.....

I for one will pay for Value.

10. gtmac macrumors 6502a

I would love to see an MBA paired with an iPad. Flip one way for tablet the other for MBA. If done well what a killer!!!

11. HolyGrail thread starter macrumors 6502

HolyGrail

They will never replace laptops and desktops. People like to use their software on 25 to 40 inch screens. Plus not everyone wants a touch screen. People want choices....and the more options they have the better.

I don't get this concept....that they need to replace anything.....all three can coexist just fine.

----------

Yeah...I have been wishing for this too. I would love a 20 inch pad.

12. VFC macrumors 6502a

I would pay for value as well. What will be the iPads' value next year when their quality and design are not that much different from the new competition?

13. AirThis macrumors 6502a

I have a better question: will Windows succeed on mobile phones? Personally I have my doubts. :p

14. qtx43 macrumors 6502a

If it has 10 hours battery life, a removable keyboard so I can use it anywhere, a hidef display and an OS that works with it, then the iPad will fail. Oh wait, that pretty much describes the iPad already. Except the Bluetooth keyboard is even more convenient than an attachable one.

15. old-wiz macrumors G3

I am still convinced that the iPad is just a fad and soon everyone will realize the error of their ways and toss away their silly gadgets and go back to DOS 3.1 on enormous desktop computers. Also everyone will toss their iPhones and go back to rotary dial landline phones.

not.

16. HolyGrail thread starter macrumors 6502

HolyGrail

Then most likely it will come down to who has the best quality software...and I don't mean just OS.

Quality software in a whole package....Apps and OS.

17. VFC macrumors 6502a

I see a future (2-3 years) where the base computer is a tablet/ultra-book convertible with a wireless connection to a large screen monitor. Apple will not want to go there any time soon as it would cut into their hardware revenue source. However, the competition may move there first and grab market share knowing Apple will be slow to make the (inevitable) move.

18. HolyGrail thread starter macrumors 6502

HolyGrail

Someone correct me if i'm wrong, because I'm not sure......but doesn't Apple TV already do this wirelessly with the ipad?

19. barkomatic macrumors 68040

What's ironic is that I'm seeing more people pair the iPad (and other tablets) with a keyboard to be more productive. Isn't that really coming full circle?

We started with netbooks that have a screen and a keyboard and now we have tablets that have a screen and a keyboard.

20. VFC, Mar 31, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2012

VFC macrumors 6502a

The drawback to the iPad's keyboard is that it cuts into the screen's display area plus there is no tactical feedback. The idea of carrying around a separate keyboard takes away from the convenience of a tablet.

IMO a convertible tablet/ultra-book is an excellent idea. The Lenovo Yoga convertible has a 13" screen, 10-point capacitive touch screen, 8 hr battery life, and not much bigger and heavier than the iPad. Next generation models will be even better.

21. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

What competition ?
    There is no single device in the Tablet market that even comes close to the sales the iPad brings, not to mention the quality.
    The only thing that even keeps Android in the game is the sheer volume they are pumping out with.
    Asus's Transformer Prime sold what 2000 units on pre orders and has a total of 200000 shipped around the worlds sales channels.
    They also where plagued with hardware and software problems.
    The question if MS Win 8 will do anything is hypotheticle and speculation.
    This whole iGadget killer device has been coming from everybody since the original iPod and still has to happen.
    As it stands when people say they want to buy a Tablet they say I want a iPad.

22. bmat macrumors 6502

I think the iPad is great, and have owned each generation. But I don't think we know yet what will be the longterm winner in terms of devices yet. I think what we've seen is that technology has been changing much more rapidly, and that things that once seemed invincible no longer seem that way -- from windows, yahoo, to google, RIM, to whatever.

23. VFC macrumors 6502a

Apple's main hardware appeal has been the use of aluminum, thin, light, and long battery life. The software's appeal has been stability and ease of use.

The competition has essentially caught up on the hardware side (e.g., the Asus Zenbook is made with an aluminum frame, is thinner and lighter than the MBA and uses the same manufacturing factory as Apple and the MS 8 ultra-books use the same Intel cpu).

I would not take MS 8 lightly. MS is a big company with lots of skilled people. If they come up with a solid, easy to use, OS; they will cut into Apple's software dominance.

24. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Windows phone has more potential than any other phone OS right now. Microsoft is marketing it terribly, but that is changing as Nokia is ramping up.

Try out a Windows phone and you'll see what I mean. It's refreshingly different from the usual iOS and Android fare. And it's not just different for the sake of being different; it actually makes sense.

Ok, you can all go back to your iPad thread now :)

25. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated