Will Apples Prices Drop After the Holidays?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MacsBestFriend, Nov 30, 2008.

1. MacsBestFriend macrumors 6502a

MacsBestFriend

With the bad economy, people are saying that prices will drop very low come January. Do you think that Apple prices will drop? I personally think no, but my father thinks that they will have large sales at Apple Retail Stores, MacMall, etc. What is your take on this and why? :confused:

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

No, Apple don't adjust prices on available models.

3. spazattack674 macrumors regular

I don't think Apple will lower prices. Their products are marketed towards professionals, and they don't really sell low-end products. Judging by how crowded the Apple Store I was at on Friday, they still have many people who are willing to buy at the current prices. I, for one, am willing to buy, because I would rather wait to buy a higher quality product that will last, instead of buying lower quality and needing to replace it sooner.

4. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I don't think it would be Apple's style to drop prices on anything. I mean everyone speculated the new MB and MBP would see $300 to $500 price drops when introduced. Now, we have the highest MB prices ever to $1599! And the MBP was supposedly going to drop to $1599 for base and $1999 for high-end model... THAT DID NOT HAPPEN. Instead we saw the same exact pricing.

It seems that Apple is selling more than ever at the high prices with 50% growth over the prior year's sales. So, I think they are right to keep the prices high, even though I really wish they would lower the pricing to make these things more affordable. Seems like buying a used car. I mean it's $3k for a MBP with AppleCare and tax. That's a lot of money!

5. G4DP macrumors 65816

the economy will not get apple to change prices, unless they put them up.

6. MacsBestFriend thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacsBestFriend

Yup, this is how i imagined the answers! Apple has a couple billion in the bank to play with, they won't care even if few people buy this year. There will always be iPod buyers ;). Please keep the answers coming! The more i have the more I can prove my dad wrong for once, lol:p

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I think that your father knows nothing about Apple. They will never lower their prices for an economic turndown.

Tell him that that couple billion is actually 25.

8. MacsBestFriend thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacsBestFriend

you are right, he knows nothing about apple. i tried to convince him this and he said i wasn't old enough to understand what "economy" is. thats bull!;) its really because he doesn't like apple for whatever reason thinking that the iPod was one of the worst inventions ever because it makes people anti-social, lol:eek: he still uses a windoze 95 tower... yeah.:eek:

9. BayouBengal macrumors regular

He should also consider brands like Porsche or Masserati, they are premium brands that carry a premium price. A downtown in the economy won't make them cut prices like other brands, you take a look at a Ford and there are some mega discounts to be had. We're not going to suddenly see Gucci shoes go for sub $100, they will continue to be several hundred dollars.

10. oscillatewildly macrumors 68000

Retailers will continue to go under, Apple may not offer deals, companies fighting for survival will. If memory serves, a recession usually results in the demise of 10% of businesses from all sectors, this time it looks like it will be between 20% and 25%.

11. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Apple is one of probably only a hand full of companies in the US that do not have any debt. Combine that with Apple's still rather strong sales in a sinking economy and you have no chance of a price drop.