Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kennyduerlund

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2014
Hey guys!
New to the community, so I'm sorry if this thread has been up before?

I just bought an AppleTV, waiting for it to arrive.
I currently dont have the money for an Airport Express, so my question is:

If the AppleTV and the router is placed (about) 12 feet from each other, pointing more or less towards each other, with a wireless 40 Mb, 5 Ghz wifi connection, do you think it will lag? Im mostly gonna use it to mirror my MBP up on my TV, while streaming videos (VLC player or XBMC media center)

Any experience?
Thanks a lot guys!

Kenny

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Neeeeed AC.
Neeeeeed update. Apple disappointed me last 3 keynotes.

kennyduerlund

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2014
Dunno if I was unclear maybe :-D

I know it will work, my question is: How WELL will it work, without an Airport Express or better, to strengthen the connection?

Thx anyway :)

Sym0

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2013
I run two at the same time on n 5ghz, one at 3 feet and the other 40 feet through two light weight walls and there is no performance difference. They both operate as fast and smoothly as you expect, even at the same time with HD content.

kennyduerlund

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2014
Thanks man, good to know.

What kind of router du you have?

I have NETGEAR CG3700emr, dont know if its any good

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
I have an ATV2 on 5 Ghz N with a Netgear WNDR3700, works just fine (provided Netgear doesn't give me bum firmware updates).

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2007
Dunno if I was unclear maybe :-D

I know it will work, my question is: How WELL will it work, without an Airport Express or better, to strengthen the connection?

Thx anyway :)

Current ATV is capped at 65mbs. The only improvement that really helps ATV stream is a consistent clean connection as noise free as possible from Airport Base Station.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.