Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
A question for those who may have some knowledge of the SDK and apps being developed - will they have the ability to store files on the iPhone and will they be able to move files from your desktop PC/Mac back and forth to the iPhone? One of the first apps I hope to get is a good ebook reader, but it will need to have the abililty to store ebooks locally plus move the ebook file from your desktop PC. Another app I want is some form of notes sync with Microsoft Outlook. If not the Notes program itself maybe just a text editor of some sort. Both these apps will need the ability to move files back and forth though.

robhedin

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2006
A question for those who may have some knowledge of the SDK and apps being developed - will they have the ability to store files on the iPhone and will they be able to move files from your desktop PC/Mac back and forth to the iPhone? One of the first apps I hope to get is a good ebook reader, but it will need to have the abililty to store ebooks locally plus move the ebook file from your desktop PC. Another app I want is some form of notes sync with Microsoft Outlook. If not the Notes program itself maybe just a text editor of some sort. Both these apps will need the ability to move files back and forth though.

Don't know about MS Outlook, although this might be supported if it's going through exchange.

On the other topic: (1) yes files/data can be stored locally on the iPhone (2) the files will need to be placed there by the on device application (3) this means that the application will need to retrieve the documents (ebook in your case) via the web (or web service or whatnot) which could be running anywhere however (4) developers can choose to implement bonjour networking and provide a PC/Mac application that registers a service on the local network that the iPhone application can connect to to transfer items between the desktop and the iphone. But... (5) other than static backup of the device through iTunes, it will be up to the developer to write both sides of the system and the user to launch the appropriate application-- while the PC/Mac side could be implemented as a service, the iPhone side will require user interaction.

rob.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.