Will Aqua ever have a 'white on black' option?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dcnblues, Oct 23, 2007.

1. dcnblues macrumors member

I simply cannot, and have never, been able to stand the default Mac GUI look of dark text on light background.

I have been waiting since I switched to macs (back when sneak peaks of Copeland were on Magazine covers) for an OS GUI that had attractive light text on dark. I now have some hope in that some of the Mac's Pro applications (Aperture, Color, Shake, etc) actually look good.

Are there any threads that discuss this issue? I did a few searches but didn't come up with anything.

My question is whether there's any demand or chance that we might have an option for a better looking GUI without having to use System Prefs / Universal Access / Display option (which does look much better, but images are inverted). Any useful info much appreciated...

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Done.

Command-Option-Control-8

Oh wait, inverted images.

3. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

System Preferences > Universal Access > Display : White on Back.;)

4. MBX macrumors 65816

shapeshifter is my solution for this.

i hope it will work right away on leopard too.

5. djnardu macrumors regular

djnardu

wow thats awesome!

God Im upgrading to Leopard in like 3 days, yet there is still so many things about tiger I dont know.

Got any other cool things?

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

That's been in MacOS as long as I can remember.

How about this well known trick?
    Hold down shift and then click the yellow minimize button on a window.

7. djnardu macrumors regular

djnardu

lol so cool, keep em coming lol

8. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Hold down the command key and click on the title at the top of a Finder/Safari window.

It shows the path to the file/url.

9. VoidBoi macrumors regular

10. dcnblues thread starter macrumors member

My thread was looking for 'useful' info on this topic. Reading the initial post would also be helpful. Many thanks...:)

11. rmh macrumors regular

Hold shift and trigger any Expose function.

And to the OP: No, not without something like ShapeShifter.

12. djnardu macrumors regular

djnardu

13. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

press shift+ one of the feautures like expose or remove windows to the side, press it alot, and then let go, it will go on for a while... :p

14. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

There's are reason Apple use black on white... it strains the eyes to read white on black (or similar contrasting / reverse colors). Its far easier to read black on white...if you're human that is.:p

15. jellomizer macrumors 6502

jellomizer

Well Paper is White with Black Ink. Macs have normally strived to emulate the look of Print on Paper. Even the Font smoothing is better for printed text then screen text.

16. dcnblues thread starter macrumors member

That's false. Even the help info for Universal Access used to state, plainly, that light on dark was easier to read (frustrating that they've changed it).

I have no argument that on the printed page, black on white is the way to go. But when radiation is aimed at my head (as with a computer monitor), having just the text beamed into my eyes is a lot better, and easier on the eyes, than having a screen full of white blasted at me. Prettier, too.

No one has seen how good looking all those KDE / GNOME GUI's look? And Mac (all about empowering the user) has never given any other option than the Universal Access one? I don't get it.

If there's no other topic on this, or any hope for a better GUI, I'll reluctantly start looking at Linux options.

http://fvwm-themes.sourceforge.net/screenshots/

17. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

The best OS trick I know is holding ctrl and scrolling...something else useful is that you can resize background applications while holding the Command key. Holding option often changes the function of buttons, for example holding option and clicking the Airport menubar item puts the results in order by signal strength.

18. mashinhead macrumors 68020

hold control and double click the title bar of a window

or hold shift and double click the title bar of a window

19. Porco macrumors 68020

Porco

I would no problem with the option of white-on-black, but personally web-sites that have chunks of text like that do my eyes in and I usually resort to copy and pasting the text. So I hope it never becomes the norm.

20. dcnblues thread starter macrumors member

Even the Mac home page is going with light on dark, at least for their pro hardware and software. Look at the difference between pages for MacBook, and MacBook Pro. Inverse of each other.

God I hope I'll be able to work with text the pretty way, someday, hopefully sooner than later...