Will Archive and Install Delete Microsoft Office on Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by eatapples, Aug 26, 2010.

1. eatapples macrumors newbie

Because I installed Microsoft Office 2004 from my friend's disk, I do not have the actual disk for installation. So, if I were to do an archive and install of leopard on my macbook, would microsoft office be deleted?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

No, but
    from Installing Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard
    found via "archive and install leopard"

3. south8212 macrumors 6502

Archive and install will only replace the system files, not the users home folder in which the office files are stored in. So in other words, you have nothing to worry about.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That's a bit confusing. Aren't the actual applications of MS Office stored inside the Applications folder, which is outside the Users, thus Home folder?

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The global Applications folder is at the root-level of your hard drive. It is undisturbed by an Archive and Install reinstallation of the OS.

6. eatapples thread starter macrumors newbie

Before I do an archive and install, if it stores everything in a previous systems folder, when I start up my computer, will I have to do anything, or will it automatically start up from the previous systems folder?

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It will start from the newly installed Mac OS X, the Previous System folder is not bootable, but accessible for you through Finder.

8. eatapples thread starter macrumors newbie

So I will have to create a new user account and re-setup everything? I think I've found another way to fix the problem with my macbook, but this would be good for future reference...

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

No. The point of Archive & Install is that you do not have to have to create a new account and you do not have to setup everything. Most of your settings reside in your user directory which is untouched. Immediately after an Archive & Install, should should be able to get back to work.

Other settings reside in the global Library folder. These, you drag from your old Library folder to the equivalent location in your new Library folder. Do this file by file. Your problem is likely to be one damaged settings file. Test your system after each move until you have issues. This will help you to identify the problematic file and so that it can be discarded.

10. eatapples thread starter macrumors newbie