Will AS5 help original MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nph, May 10, 2009.

1. nph macrumors 6502a

I have an original MBP, 1.8 first Intel with the Yona processor

So yes it is hot. So hot in fact I sent it in for service a few months after I got it.
    They fixed the whining screen (mostly) and they actually reduced the temp somewhat and replaced some heat sensors.
    However without SMC fan control I wonder how hot it would be.

So, my question is what do you think, would it make sense to try and do some surgery (I have checked how to remove the heat sink and it is close to it...) to replace the Thermal paste with AS5?
    I am not new to taking apart a computer since I have replaced the hard drive in it already but heat sink and thermal paste seems to be in another dimension.
    So before I start this endeavor I want to see if someone else has done this to make sure it is worth the effort.

Thanks

2. dhuang macrumors member

I replaced my 2.2 SR MBP with AS5 and I think it lowered temps by 2-4Cs at plugged in idle, I'm not sure about Yonahs -- they got pretty toasty. But the thermal paste that was on there before was a terrible application.

3. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Did you try dusting the fans and heatsinks first with some canned air?

You can give AS5 a try. Personally, I prefer the ceramic (I think it's aluminum nitride) based pastes, like Arctic MX-2 or OCZ Freeze, since they are bit less fussy. (No break-in time, non-conductive, won't stain, non-toxic, etc).

I recommend you study up on how to put paste on first though. If you do it wrong, you won't be any better off that you were before. And don't forget to clean the old paste off both the heatsink and the chips themselves! If you remove the heatsink, you have to clean and redo all three chips. Don't ever put a heatsink back down without changing all the paste on it.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It will help, no question about that, the question is, will the savings offset the risk of disassembling the laptop. I found a 5 to 10c savings on apply AS5 on my old MB, I have no idea if you'll get that much and is that much savings makes the work justifiable?

6. nph thread starter macrumors 6502a

Exactly! Hence I hope to hear from other MBP 1.86 owners...

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I think we all could use a good piece of AS5. :D

8. nph thread starter macrumors 6502a

Any 1.8 MPB owner who replaced the thermal paste?

No MBP owner that have done this?

9. taphil macrumors regular

I did it on my original MBP 2GHz. You might lower the CPU temp a few degrees, but don't expect a huge decrease or to be able to suddenly use the notebook on your lap. Of course you also run the risk of damaging something on a notebook that otherwise is working properly and infamous for running hot no matter what you do.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It will drop it a couple of degrees but is 2c worth the risk and effort to completely dismantle the computer?

I did it with my old MB and in hindsight didn't think it was worth the effort.

11. macDonalds macrumors 6502

I can only go by my experience and say that a little AS5 is pretty much the cure for everything.