Will AT&T Activate In-Store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by patrickdunn, Jun 18, 2009.

1. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

I have to go to work immediately after, and there is no iTunes or working USB ports on our computers. Will AT&T set-up my iPhone so I can use it tomorrow and download from the app store?

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

They should.

If you buy it in any retail store, they should activate it for you before you leave.

It used to be that you had to take it home and sync it to iTunes before you could purchase anything, but 3.0 is supposed to have the ability to sign into the iTunes Store directly from the phone itself.

3. lilmitchmitch macrumors 6502

Yeah, just go into AT&T and they'll do the rest for you.

4. dave006 macrumors 68020

In Store activation unless the servers go down and then they will send you on your way with an iBrick until you can connect and complete the iTunes activation.

Do you have an iTunes account, if not set one up now to save you time tomorrow.

Dave

5. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

What if You Are ATT already and Upgrading from 3G>3G s?

Can they just pop in the SIM from my old phone to the new phone? I suppose it can't be that simple.

6. patrickdunn thread starter macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

No, they have to activate the device on the server.

If it goes down, can I stop by the Apple store next door to activate it?

7. kyleaa macrumors regular

If the server goes down, it goes down for everyone, Apple included. So hopefully they won't have that issue! Last year they released the new firmware on the same day, so there were tons of people activating with their upgrade as well. By staggering the release there should be less of a strain.