Carrier Will AT&T be fussy about text messages over Continuity?

simon48

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
I think the answer is surely not, but with cable companies you never know...

The fine print for Mobile Share's Unlimited Talk & Text says:
"Messaging applies only to AT&T’s Short Messaging Service (SMS) and Multimedia Messaging Service (MMS) and not to any other messaging services or applications. Messages are for direct communication between phones and must originate from your phone. Messages sent to tablets, laptops, or other connected devices are excluded. Messages sent through applications may incur data charges. Service may be terminated or restricted for tethered messaging or misuse."

Is it just a case of outdated fine print or is AT&T going to do something if you text over Continuity?

mbsaeger

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
I think the answer is surely not, but with cable companies you never know...

The fine print for Mobile Share's Unlimited Talk & Text says:
"Messaging applies only to AT&T’s Short Messaging Service (SMS) and Multimedia Messaging Service (MMS) and not to any other messaging services or applications. Messages are for direct communication between phones and must originate from your phone. Messages sent to tablets, laptops, or other connected devices are excluded. Messages sent through applications may incur data charges. Service may be terminated or restricted for tethered messaging or misuse."

Is it just a case of outdated fine print or is AT&T going to do something if you text over Continuity?
I don't think it is going to be an issue. The continuity just forwards the messages over bluetooth to the other device; thus they originate from the iPhone. If there is no iPhone in range then you can not send 'text' messages.

simon48

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
I don't think it is going to be an issue. The continuity just forwards the messages over bluetooth to the other device; thus they originate from the iPhone. If there is no iPhone in range then you can not send 'text' messages.
The "Service may be terminated or restricted for tethered messaging" line is the one that stands out to me.

I'm guessing you're right, but I'm just going overly technical. :)

simon48

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
Yeah, maybe it's if you're tethering without a tethering plan? I don't know.
Well, tethering comes with Mobile Share so I'm not sure that possible. Again, this is just me being overly technical with some fine print. ;)

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
If the carrier sold a device to me and I violated their TOS by using said device with its original unmodified software (read: not jailbroken or rooted), then something is wrong with the manufacturer and/or the carrier. All the carriers must surely have vetted the device before selling it in their stores. It's not like I am running unofficial software or some hack or something.

But in this case, all text messages are sent using and from the phone regardless of which device you typed the original message from.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.