Carrier Will AT&T be fussy about text messages over Continuity?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by simon48, Sep 23, 2014.

1. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

I think the answer is surely not, but with cable companies you never know...

The fine print for Mobile Share's Unlimited Talk & Text says:
    "Messaging applies only to AT&T’s Short Messaging Service (SMS) and Multimedia Messaging Service (MMS) and not to any other messaging services or applications. Messages are for direct communication between phones and must originate from your phone. Messages sent to tablets, laptops, or other connected devices are excluded. Messages sent through applications may incur data charges. Service may be terminated or restricted for tethered messaging or misuse."

Is it just a case of outdated fine print or is AT&T going to do something if you text over Continuity?

2. mbsaeger macrumors 6502

mbsaeger

I don't think it is going to be an issue. The continuity just forwards the messages over bluetooth to the other device; thus they originate from the iPhone. If there is no iPhone in range then you can not send 'text' messages.

3. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

This

4. simon48 thread starter macrumors 65816

simon48

The "Service may be terminated or restricted for tethered messaging" line is the one that stands out to me.

I'm guessing you're right, but I'm just going overly technical. :)

5. thisdj78 macrumors 6502

Yeah, maybe it's if you're tethering without a tethering plan? I don't know.

6. simon48 thread starter macrumors 65816

simon48

Well, tethering comes with Mobile Share so I'm not sure that possible. Again, this is just me being overly technical with some fine print. ;)

7. thisdj78 macrumors 6502

Ahh, missed that part

8. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

If the carrier sold a device to me and I violated their TOS by using said device with its original unmodified software (read: not jailbroken or rooted), then something is wrong with the manufacturer and/or the carrier. All the carriers must surely have vetted the device before selling it in their stores. It's not like I am running unofficial software or some hack or something.

But in this case, all text messages are sent using and from the phone regardless of which device you typed the original message from.