Will AT&T change 3G Pricing?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jimbo1mcm, May 9, 2010.

1. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Nobody is talking about it, but what happens if/when they decide to change pricing on their data plans? How long is the $29.95 pricing good for?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I don't see why they would change it; if they make it more, people will move to other SPs.

3. wombat888 macrumors 6502a

This is a good question and I'm interested in the answer as well. With no contracts, AT&T could change the price with minimal notice.

4. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Any time they freakin' want to. With that said, consistency is good business.

5. christof macrumors 6502

This is my greatest fear... I haven't read through AT&T's or Apple iPad's Terms and Conditions, but by simple nature of the lack of a service contract, I know we could all be screwed one day by AT&T's Death Star and their used car salesman, Ralph de la Vega.

One note: it's no wonder AT&T sucks... Gil Amelio is on their Board of Directors. Check out Steve Jobs (and Bill Gates at All Things D) on Amelio at 5:20, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK_HThS8DZo#t=5m20s

6. Hmac macrumors 68020

It's a month-to-month service, so they're only contractually on the hook to any given set of terms or pricing for no more than 30 days.

I think before we see the prices go up, we'll see them impose a data cap on the $30 unlimited plan.

7. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I can't see them raising the price for a year or so as I bet they have an agreement with Apple. I can't see them not being happy as the unlimited is already limited.

It works good for me so far. I have unlimited now but if I find myself not using enough I will go to the lesser plan.;)

8. jreuschl macrumors 6502

They'll keep it the same until Verizon gets the iPhone :)

9. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

No contract means neither party is under any obligation once the original sale is consummated. You are not required to continue service, ATT is not required to offer service at any set price, or at any price at all.

However, it is unknown what kind of contract ATT may have with Apple. It may be, and probably is the case, that ATT is required to maintain the price levels and service for X year(s) as requirement for being an Apple partner. If ATT jacked up prices in 4 months, it would certainly hurt 3G sales and give Apple a black eye, especially since the iPad isn't compatible w. T-Mobs 3G service. So I'm sure Apple has well protected its brand as it always does.

10. davidlw macrumors 6502a

I think that before they go up on the 3G data package they would require a contract. Going up would cause a riff but requiring a contract is what people are used to with cell phones.

11. Battlestar macrumors 6502

IF they change it at all there would be a price decrease.

12. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Trust me -- requiring a contract would cause a bigger riff. I would not have bought a 3G if a contract was required. I don't think I'm alone. At least anecdotally, I keep reading that others also bought the 3G for "just in case" moments. The heat would be turned up so high on ATT if they did that ATT management would recall the wrath they feel right now as merely be a day on South Beach in August.

13. MacToddB macrumors 6502a

MacToddB

If they increase it, people aren't under contract and will find WiFi or Sprint/Verizon+MyFi solutions more attractive.

I think the more likely scenario is AT&T offering subsidized hardware in exchange for 1 or 2 years of the unlimited contract... i.e. eliminate the $130 premium but require two years at $30/month, i.e. $360 or more guaranteed.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I hope that never happens (unless Apple will continue to offer unlocked devices).

15. MacToddB macrumors 6502a

MacToddB

Yeah, I'm just talking about AT&T making a separate decision, perhaps for purchases in AT&T stores, or Best Buy, the way they subsidize some netbooks, like the Nokia Booklet 3G. $300 with 2-year AT&T contract, $600 without.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...otion,+synonymns]&pu=defaultusr&pt=1256446801