Will AT&T Charge Extra for Tetherting?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DocDoom, Jun 21, 2009.

1. DocDoom macrumors regular

Anyone know if att will charge extra for tethering on iphone 3gs?

2. eyefoniac macrumors 6502

eyefoniac

Yes, I can give you a definite yes. Absolutely.

3. arykmax macrumors regular

Yes, I think that has been the consensus. Just not sure how much extra yet until they announce something. I think the lastest rumor was $55 a month.

4. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

ATT came out and made a statement that that rumor of $55 is false. That doesn't mean that they weren't trying to calm the PR nightmare that they have been fighting though. I think they are going to try to spin this $55 bullcrap into a $30 a month charge and say some stuff like see.....we listen to our customers, they complained about $55 so we came in at $30!!!

$30 is a ripoff by the way. You are already paying for unlimited (well at least 5gb) of data. I can't stand ATT.

5. eyefoniac macrumors 6502

eyefoniac

Yeah, not fun that we are paying for "unlimited" data and have to pay an extra cap to put it out via tethering. Oh well, we signed up for this tho.

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

who bets that the tethering charge will only allow one to tether yet you still only have 5gigs you can use between your data plan and tether plan, not 5 gigs for each?

7. DocDoom thread starter macrumors regular

yeah dats way too much...the plan is already expensive as it is, i think to charge anything at all is insane...

8. eyefoniac macrumors 6502

eyefoniac

I would not doubt it at all, not in the least bit.

9. Maskusee macrumors 6502a

Maskusee

AT&T will charge extra for anything and everything that AT&T can !

10. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I believe they will offer a "robust" data plan that will include "unlimited" data and tethering for about $50-60 per month. This is just my guess.

Currently they get $ 60 a month from me for the USB cellular option and another $50 a month for my wife's first Gen iPhone and my 3G.

$110 a month for data is good business. They have to be very careful about upsetting that money cart :)

11. lag1090 macrumors 6502

It's almost certain that AT&T will milk its customers for every last penny.

It's an American phone company, after all. What else do such corporations do?

12. mattroman246 macrumors 6502

mattroman246

I work for AT&T and can tell you 100% without a doubt they'll charge for it which completely blows. Blackberry / Windows Mobile smart phone tethering runs an extra $30 a month. Expect the same for the iPhone.

I'm just enjoying it for free while I can lol - suggest you do the same!

13. xtrematrix macrumors newbie

For people with the AT&T DSL + iPhones the tethering charge should be drastically reduced since you are already paying for data twice. The fact that they can get away with gouging us makes me want to send large files via email from my iphone... over and over again.

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

do it! just email continuously to yourself!

15. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I am guessing the folks from mobile and the folks from DSL manage two entirely separate business P&L's and have separate management and goals etc. Not likely to happen in my estimate.

They do this because they have modeled it mathematically and people will pay it. Think of what a cash cow data plans and text messages are ....Lots of profit for a trickle of data.

16. dohspc macrumors regular

dohspc

17. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

it will run the same price as the blackberry or smartphone tethering plans

18. Scorch07 macrumors 6502

I really hope they don't but I"m sure they will. Let me say this... the most I'll pay for tethering is $5. I'm already paying $30 for the data, and $5 for freakin texts (which is an even bigger ripoff, those should be included like with the 1st gen iPhone). So yeah, to any AT&T employees out there with any power, you would do well to make it cheap or included. Otherwise, you won't be getting any more of my money.