will AT&T get better once there is a verizon iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by renault4, Dec 13, 2010.

1. renault4 macrumors regular

ok perverse thinking, I know, but as I need an iPhone that will work internationally (mostly Europe) and I doubt the first Verizon phone, if and when it is released, will be dual GSM/CDMA. So is it wishful thinking to imagine that once a Verizon unit comes out so many will switch that the burden on AT&Ts networks will be relieved to the point that service will actually get better?

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

You probably won't see a huge difference but there will be some. Most people will still be locked into contracts and not able to quickly switch.

3. trigonometry macrumors 6502

trigonometry

I doubt it. Like the post above stated, too many locked into new contracts with the iP4. Over a few years the congestion will probably decline but LTE should be in full swing by then. Unfortunately, as more people switch to smartphones LTE will probably be bogged down too. Especially since none of the "4G" networks are technically 4G.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Possibly. But the overall growth in smartphone use will probably negate any benefit.

5. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

I don't think Apple would be foolish enough to not make a dual GSM/CDMA iPhone. There have been plenty of rumors about the proper chips existing to accomplish that, and I'd assume Apple has enough money to make ALL their iPhones dual, so they wouldn't have to sell a seperate one for each network type, so they can consolidate manufacturing and save money in the long run. The volume at which they sell them should make such a product very possible for Apple.

6. mpossoff macrumors 68020

What's wrong with att currently? I have no issues.

7. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Maybe, but Verizon network will be challenged with all of those Verizon users will be buying iphones as well. Truth is... iPhone users use lots of data.

8. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

wow just because you have great reception where you live means no one else has reception problems anywhere!!!!

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That also works in reverse.
    Not every place is the same and users experience will vary.

10. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Yes, AT&T is getting ready to flip their turbo service switch the minute the announcement is made on Verizon's end. They have an entire ad campaign ready also.

11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I doubt it. People always talk about how the iPhone puts a strain on AT&T's data network because it uses so much bandwidth.

Ok, but does that have anything to do with how my iPhone tends to drop most of its calls when I still have 4 bars? I doubt it. Will people going to Verizon make this better? I doubt it.

And as for the "it's not bad everywhere argument," well, I'd love to know where those places are. I tend to have problems in:
    Washington DC
    Orlando, FL
    New York, NY
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Dallas, TX
    Norfolk, VA
    Philadelphia, PA
    Buffalo, NY
    Frisco, NC

...just to name a few. I travel a lot and have yet to find the magical "AT&T is great" part of the country. I'll keep looking.

12. mpossoff macrumors 68020

I hear as many Verizon complaints as att and even more complaints with sprint. T-mobile I hear has come a long way?

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Think of how many iPhone users have grandfathered unlimited plans. None of them are going anywhere.

14. mpossoff macrumors 68020

That's me!

15. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Conversely, it doesn’t mean most people have a problem, because some do.

I don’t have issues in DC or Dallas. Who knows why my experience is different than yours.

16. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

You must be taller than me.

I have many friends with iPhones who agree with me. I've even had Verizon-friends say to me: "I hate talking to people with iPhones because I know the call will be dropped before it's over."

I didn't prompt her to say that or ask her about it, she just came up with it one day. (A DC person.) So it's certainly not just me.

17. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

Bingo! Unless verizon or any other company decided to let people with unlimited data plans bring them over, I'll be locked to att. I'm kinda interested in an android phone, hopefully att selection of them will get better in 2011.
    I would assume that if att loses exclusivity it will try and boost it's android line up.

18. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

Every carrier has it's pro's and con's. Personally, I haven't had any problems with reception what so ever. Of course it would differ if I was somewhere else.

19. nolimitmobile macrumors newbie

Not one issue with att most places i travel in the west...You are going to have issues on any carrier...i had t mobile and it was horrible..i have 4 lines w verizon also and voice is great but data and lack of data and voice at same time stinks!!!
    Maybe a droid on VZW is better for people in bad att areas ???

20. bid2ask77 macrumors regular

bid2ask77

I have had att for the last 3 years and have not had any problems with the service.

21. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

The same can be said for all the carriers in that case. Verizon in my area is horrible; both voice and data. Had a work phone given to me [HTC running Android]. It was fun for a couple hours playing, but the service was crap. 1 maybe 2 bars if I went up stairs. Data was horrid. Sprint was no better; was hoping, because I really did think the EVO was a cool device, but what good is a cool phone if I can't use it?

It's all relative...get what works for you in your area...

As for "Will it get better?" Again, it's all relative. If 100,000 users leave AT&T for Verizon, AT&T won't magically get faster. Maybe in some dense, populated areas 3G may improve a bit, and possibly call quality will be better [by a very very small percentage, that I doubt anyone will notice], but it's not a 1 for 1 thing...

22. mstrze macrumors 68000

Will it get better? Probably not since most Android phones are bigger data hogs than the iPhone, hence as AT&T continues to sell those in addition to iPhones, usages will continue to increase.

I also have had no issues here in Houston, yet I have friends who live on the other side of the city and they can't say enough about how horrible coverage is for them. Again, I am pleased and have never had an issue...even after Hurricane Ike I still had service...although it was a bit degraded then.

23. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

No.

24. zephxiii macrumors 6502

I would agree, I have family in the DC area and they have been on AT&T for the past couple of years and don't have any complaints....to be honest the call quality has been better than when they were on VZW.

25. BeyondtheTech, Dec 14, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2010

BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Funny you should ask that question that way.

I've watched AT&T over the last 10 years since jumping back and forth between Verizon and them multiple times. In my experience, they have never seen this kind of growth and profitability since their exclusive release of the iPhone. Unfortunately, they literally sat on the piles of cash they raked in, and padded their pockets until last year when their network and disgruntled customers couldn't take it anymore. Their greed was and continues to be evident - charging an additional $10 for 3G data over 2G? Charging $20 a month just to flip a switch for tethering? Mandatory data plans and killing unlimited? Garbage PR and campaigns such as "Seth the Blogger Guy" and "Rethink Possible" instead of actually fixing the problems?

Add to the fact that this "exclusive US carrier" typically carried less than 5% of stock than their corresponding Apple stores shows that they didn't want to unnecessarily give commission to their own employees when they could rather let Apple do all the white-glove sales and activations for them for free.

Knowing that their exclusivity is finite, they - in typical Wall Street mentality - decided on the cash grab approach instead. So, when the exclusivity ends, profits drop, operations scale back, and workforce reduction ensues, the suits at the top will already have their golden parachutes padded and ready for use.

I sat next to a Sprint user with his HTC EVO 4G on the train yesterday from NYC to Central NJ. And while I don't care much for Android or Sprint, I was watching him thumb through fresh web pages like a book. When I wasn't going through dead zones that repeatedly gave AT&T on their "Mark the Spot" app, I stared at a waiting icon while my iPhone 4 eventually figured out it couldn't pull any data from AT&T's overburdened towers. As I said before, it's like driving a Ferrari down a highway with a kid in the passenger seat, yanking on the parking brake every other mile.

Going back to your original question, it's my opinion that AT&T won't "get better," but it might "suck less" in your personal experience.