Will AT&T give me a iPhone plan without contract?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by poke4christ, Feb 14, 2008.

1. poke4christ macrumors member

I want to buy an iPhone on ebay and I was wondering if AT&T will switch me to an iPhone plan without making me sign a new contract. Anybody have any experience with this? Also, anybody selling their used iPhone?

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I've got four phones...

and two of those are iPhones with new 2 year contracts. The other two are KRZR & Blackberry Pearl and they remain on their old contracts. :cool:

3. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

family plan with 4 phones, only one iPhone-- iPhone contract was the only one extended

4. poke4christ thread starter macrumors member

Um... what? Did either of you answer my question, because if you did I can't tell. Not trying to be rude, just trying to make things clear.

5. JCastro macrumors 6502a

I don't think they will. Call Customer Service and ask.

6. one1 macrumors 65816

You'll have to sign a new contract because the iphone plan is different from the other plans. It is not a plan under any of the old contracts. It is designed specifically for the iphone. It gives a certain amount of minutes, text, + data all rolled into an "iphone plan" made for this phone.

I have heard conflicting stories of people adding data to their old plan and using the iphone, but I still don't see how since the iPhone will reject a sim not set up on it specifically through iTunes. "Invalid sim" error.

7. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

If you already have an ATT plan, the iPhone will be added as a feature set ($20 for unlimited Edge and 200 texts) and your contract will be extended for 24 months from the date of your iPhone's activation.

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Sorry...

I thought my examples were self-evident, but that's my bad. You'll get a new 2 year contract if you upgrade to a new iPhone. :cool:

9. doobi18 macrumors 6502

There's a new fad in town involving jailbreaking and unlocking...

10. poke4christ thread starter macrumors member

If I'm buying a used one off ebay then it's already activated. I'm just wondering if AT&T will switch me to the iphone plan.

11. poke4christ thread starter macrumors member

No prob, I'm probably just a little thick. Also, I wouldn't be upgrading, I'd be buying a used already activated one from someone else.

12. poke4christ thread starter macrumors member

okay, after rereading this a little I caught that the iPhone is sim-locked to one sim and not just cingular sims. I didn't realize that and I have to say it's utter crap. So I guess I would have to unlock it.

Man do I hate the cell phone companies. 2-Year contracts are completely moronic. Not only do they suck for the consumer, they are stupid for the companies because they stiffle innovation and hinder sales. If consumers can only buy a new phone every 2 years then that slows down innovation. Personally, I would want to buy a new phone every year, but the contracts keep me from doing this.

Basically, the reason I don't want to sign a contract is because I want to get an android phone when they come out in a year, but I want to upgrade away from my 8125 now.

13. billpaxton macrumors member

billpaxton

hack it, just get a good data plan... that's all you really need :)

14. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

i agree about the pointlessness of locking people into two year contracts. this is just away for AT&T to get people to jump from Verizon, or anyone else for that matter.

I have been waiting for the iPhone rev. 2 to come out but it doesn't look like it will anytime soon. So, since my contract with Verizon just expired in the 12th, and my buddy is a Rep for AT&T, i might make the jump. But since the the GSM service is really spotty in my area, i am kind of hesitant about the jump.

15. one1 macrumors 65816

Can you explain how that can be even remotely useful if he is staying with ATT and trying to get them to work his plan out, which has nothing to do with the cell phone?

Others are trying to do this fad of getting cell service plans from their provider like he is and it doesn't matter what you do to your phone at that point it still has to be activated by ATT if you're using their service.

16. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Answer to OP: Regardless of your status with at&t/cingular, you will start a new contract from the date of your activation. If you already have a contract, you will keep that plan, and just have an extra $20 for data or you will get the closest iPhone plan (if cheaper). You WILL get to keep all your rollover minutes from your old plan, regardless of which path they take you.

As for the SIM, yes it must be activated in iTunes, but ANY at&t/cingualar SIM will work for the activation. However an AT&T SIM will not (due to the legacy status of AT&T users on the at&t network).

TEG

17. poke4christ thread starter macrumors member

Here's a conversation I had with a rep online. I've actually been with AT&T for over a year out of contract and have no desire to leave. I think they've got decent service when compared against the whole. I just don't want to be prevented from buying down the road. I just want freedom to buy any phone at any time at a decent price.

Summary: He said I can't without a contract, but I might call and try with customer service. So I'm gonna call and finagle something.

zach: I'm thinking about buying a friend's iPhone and I was wondering if I can switch my plan to an iPhone plan without signing a new contract.
    Ernesto: Welcome to AT&T online Sales support. How may I assist you with placing your order today?
    Ernesto: I'd be happy to help, you can upgrade your account at any time without extending your contract.
    zach: what do you mean by upgrade?
    Ernesto: When you get your new plan with the iPhone, it will be considered an upgrade.
    zach: so, basically you're saying that if I already have the phone I can switch from my 39.99 regular plan to a 59.99 iPhone plan without signing a new contract.
    Ernesto: You should be able to, yes.
    Ernesto: Since you are upgrading by adding the data plan in there, it shouldn't extend your contract. Let me double check for you.
    zach: thx
    Ernesto: I apologize, the iPhone plans work differently. It looks like it would extend you to a new 2 year contract.
    zach: Does AT&T offer 1 year contracts at all anymore?
    Ernesto: I will check for you.
    Ernesto: Not at the moment, no.
    Ernesto: I haven't heard from you for a while. Would you like to continue chatting?
    zach: typing a big message, just a sec
    Ernesto: No problem.
    zach: (Disclaimer, I know you don't affect this, I'm just venting) You know, I'm really getting tired of the extremely shady way buisness is done with AT&T and the other cell phone caries. I honestly don't mind signing up for a 2-year contract with AT&T. However, I have a huge problem with being required to sign a new every time I get a new phone. I want to be able to buy a new phone anytime I want. I know I can do this, but the prices are outragous and are obvious gouges to force people into signing a contract. Things really REALLY need to change!
    zach: I just want the freedom to buy a new phone and use it anytime I want
    zach: at a decent price
    zach: Phones and service should be sold seperatly.
    Ernesto: I can understand how you feel and I'm sorry about that.
    zach: Sorry, as a rep for AT&T I know there probably isn't a good way for you to respond to that.
    Ernesto: Usually they do offer upgrades on phones that won't extend your contract, but I think the iPhone just is an exception to this.
    Ernesto: I can do my best to make you feel somewhat better though.
    zach: lol
    Ernesto: And if you like you can always call customer care, they may be able to work something out that I can't if you've been a customer for awhile.
    Ernesto: It's worth a shot.
    zach: thx, I'll let you go now.
    Ernesto: Thank you for choosing AT&T. Have a great day.