Will AT&T give me a micro sim?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by atrac7, Oct 11, 2010.

1. atrac7 macrumors regular

Okay here is the background. I have been with ATT for 5 years now. I still use my SIM from WAY back in the day, even before 3G came out. Obviously you all can conclude that I do not use data plan of any sort.

I have the new iPhone 4, and still plan on not using a data plan if i can avoid it. So there are 2 questions I have: If i were to cut up my ATT NON 3G sim card to microsim size, would I be able to use it in the iPhone 4? Or would I still have to go with the unlock route if i were to do that? I have not been able to find solid facts about this whether it will work or not (I mean, i AM on ATT after all, so theoretically i needn't unlock but I assume the card not being 3G may pose problems)

Second option: Go on over to ATT and request a micro sim. Would they say no because I am not on an "official" iPhone plan?

Thanks all.

2. crawsfire macrumors member

You can use your current sim by cutting it down but they will probably add a data plan when they see you are using an iphone. What kind of plan do you have now? You can use a gophone sim or a multitude of other providers sims in the iphone without data. I use a Pure TalkUSA sim in one of my phones. They don't provide micro sims only mini as far as I know so you'd have to cut it down. I imagine that is the case with any sim only provider.
    If AT&T gave you a micro sim you'd still have the same "data plan added" problem.

These are the alternate providers that I know of that you can use their sim cards in an iphone without a data plan and without being jailbroken and unlocked because they use the AT&T network:
    Pure Prepaid
    Pure TalkUSA
    7-11 Speak Out wireless (be careful some use sprint and some AT&T)
    Consumer Cellular
    GTC wireless
    Jolt Wireless
    Locus Mobile (be careful some use Verizon and some AT&T)
    TracFone (be careful they use multiple providers including AT&T)

I'm sure there are more.

Does anybody know if adding a fake APN profile using unlockit will prevent AT&T from adding a data plan?

3. atrac7 thread starter macrumors regular

Appreciate the response--only thing is I am quite content with the plan. It is part of a family plan with 3 lines...we had actually a grand fathered in plan that we never really changed (back from the cingular days...). We just get by without data really because most of us still use computers as our primary source of data. That and wifi being around everywhere.

So you are saying that even though i have the OLD, NON 3G sim card that is AT&T i would not have to unlock the iPhone??

4. Narse77 macrumors regular

Narse77

SIM Card does not matter for 2g 3g etc, it's just tied to the carrier, IE AT&T or Verizon etc etc. Though if you are using a non iphone plan with an iphone on AT&T they will catch you and change it, it's just a matter of time.

5. crawsfire macrumors member

That is correct. You only need to unlock to use a sim attached to a network other than AT&T.

6. crawsfire macrumors member

You may never get a data plan tacked on or it could happen right away. If they stick you with one then put that sim in a throw away phone, use it once then call and tell them the iphone is broke, sold, whatever and have them remove it. Then you can try again.