Will AT&T give me discount? Buying full price

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iMaconApple, Oct 12, 2011.

1. iMaconApple macrumors 6502a

Ok my discount on a iPhone is 1/4/12 from AT&T.. if I buy a unlocked iPhone 4S in November for a full price and when my discount date hits will AT&T give me a better or cheaper plan on my current one because I bought a iPhone 4S without there discount price because I didn't wait for the discount date?? I'm planning on sticking with AT&T again..I know it's only a couple months away but I can't wait :D

2. vachargerfan macrumors regular

Are you asking if they will lower you monthly plan price? If so, then no, they will not. Only way i know of to get it lowered it to have a FAN discount

3. iMaconApple thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I was thinking they might lower my monthly or give me a better cheaper plan..I guess I'll just wait 1/4/12 till I get a discount..it give time for jailbreak and issues might have with first couple batches of iPhone 4S that may have problems...

Stupid question but what's a FAN discount?:eek:

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

Not a stupid question, it's a pretty non-obvious name. FAN = Foundation Account Number

It's where you get a service (or other) discount with AT&T through your association with a company or school. See http://wiki.howardforums.com/index.php/Cingular

To see if you qualify, put in your email at http://www.wireless.att.com/businesscenter

On top of a service discount (varies by company/school), you also get switched to Business Customer Support when you dial 611. I've found in the past that they seem to be a little more cluefull than the general customer support.

5. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

NM, silly me.

I would say that, depending on needs, prepay with unlocked unit may be the way to go. There are a number of options from total pay-per-use all the way up to $60 unlimited everything ( slow data ).

6. iMaconApple thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks very much for the info guys :)

Yes apple store will be buying it from.. it's only right to have the apple experience :)

7. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

Plan pricing in the US infuriates me since it's so opaque. There really should be a BYoD discount of $20-$30/month but the 3 bigs will never do that.

8. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

AT&T, generally speaking, doesn't do that. When your contract is up - If you call and threaten to cancel, the retention department may throw in some bonus or rollover minutes, but the wholesale wheeling & dealing that used to take place died with the old AT&T Wireless when Cingular bought them.

So in short - not really.

9. iMaconApple thread starter macrumors 6502a

So if I buy from AT&T it's locked:confused:? So carriers sell iPhone 4/S that's only locked to them? I tought apple will start selling unlocked on november..so it's only from apple that will be unlocked correct?

So when my discount day comes 1/4/12 and I go to apple store and upgrade with the discount price the iPhone 4S will be unlocked right?

10. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

I was referring to your question on getting discounted plans for buying full priced phones - AT&T does not do this.

The only way to buy a unlocked phone for AT&T at the moment is to pay the full, unlocked price. You can do this either at the AT&T store or at Apple.

The 4 is the only phone being sold factory unlocked in the US at the moment. The 4s is currently not sold unlocked (being available in November), so paying the full price for it now will mean it is locked - just your contract won't be extended.

Waiting until 1/4/12 for your discount and buying the subsidized phone - the phone will be locked to AT&T. You can, however, purchase a unlocked phone at full price at any point.

11. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

see my notes

12. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

You cannot get an unlocked phone with a discount. The only way to get an unlocked 4S is to buy full-retail, direct from Apple. All discounted phones, whether from Apple or from the carrier, are locked to the carrier you choose.

Sucks, but true.

13. iMaconApple thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I'll be sticking with AT&T I like to take advantage of the faster data "4G"

Really appreciate the answers I think it solves my FAQs for now..:):apple: