Will AT&T Make Me?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bschh, Mar 24, 2009.

1. bschh macrumors newbie

So I currently have an iPhone 3G. I am in the middle of my 2 year contract.

When this new hardware comes out, Am I going to be able to upgrade for $200 or less, or will I have to pay a full price?

How was it in the past? I never owned an Original iPhone.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Original iPhone owners in the US were all allowed to upgrade to the 3G at the subsidized price (Link; possible exception, individuals who bought an iPhone with EDGE after the 3G was released?). We don't know for sure what will happen when the next iPhone comes out, but most of us suspect Apple will pressure the providers heavily into letting users upgrade.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Holy mother of huge.

You will probably be able to pay the equivalent "upgrade" price that people paid last year to get the iPhone 3G from the iPhone 2G.

4. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

My contract on AT&T's website says I am eligible for an upgrade on 7/11/09 and I bought the 3G July 11, 2008.... so I think all iPhone users will be able to upgrade.

5. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

thank you for that!

6. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

ALL people that own an iphone a few months prior to the new release of the new model will be able to upgrade for the 199/299 price as long as u resigned another 2 yr contract.....

7. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

I'm thinking a majority of people on this forum are gonna upgrade from their iPhone 3G regardless, myself included. :p

8. PaulieORF macrumors regular

Strange...I bought my iPhone 3G on 7/11/08 and AT&T's website says I'll be eligible for an upgrade on 12/11/09.

9. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

In any event, both of our dates are prior to 2 years, so suffice to say we'll probably be allowed to upgrade. Otherwise, they would be blocking potentially millions of users who would want to upgrade to the new phone.

10. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

I still have the Original iPhone. I'm assuming I will get the upgrade price regardless. I have never received a subsidy from At&t so I'm assuming I have one in the bank, so to speak.

3.0 preview made me way too excited, way too early, for a hardware upgrade. I think with a lot of other people. Perhaps Apple knew this, but I'm surprised there aren't more leaks, all things considered. But Now I'm back to the routine of becoming upset when there is a drought of iPhone rumors. Come on! I want spy shots that I swear are fake but turn out to be real.

11. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

I feel the same way. I love the hype. I love it when cooler heads scream, "Fake! Fake!" I love it when the fakes turn out to be fakes, and I love it even more when there are spy shots that turn out to be real.

I crave the rumors.:D

12. bigchief macrumors 6502a

If your in good standing with AT&T you can upgrade in 18 months on a 2 year contract.

13. Surely Guest

Surely

There was no upgrade fee to go from the 2G to the 3G because the 2G was paid-for outright (no subsidy fee).

:confused:

And seriously, what's with the giant custom font OP?

14. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

mine says 12/12/09, thats fine with me as im 100% happy with my 3G and im sure ill be happier after 3.0 comes out. Perhaps ill upgrade early if the new iphone is a total 3g killer, otherwise ill wait it out and buy based on extensive reviews etc.

15. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

truth is, nobody knows so stop assuming that the same upgrade scheme will apply between an unsubsidized and subsidized phone.

16. njl macrumors regular

17. clikzip macrumors newbie

In terms of an upgrade i know now u cant get an upgrade to a 3g iphone unless its a full upgrade. No partial upgrades on the 3g iphone. In terms of how they transition to an iphone 3 or whatever apple code names it. No policy is in effect

18. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

haha your more recent posts have really had a unique flavor to them... ever since that MP came out.

19. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

What's my upgrade date?

I see many posting the dates for upgrade eligibility. All I see when I click on Upgrade is the following:

"This line is eligible for equipment discount pricing when you sign up for a 2-year service agreement. You can take advantage of our no-commitment pricing option, with the exception of iPhone which requires a 2-year commitment."

I wonder if that means I am eligible already??

20. clikzip macrumors newbie

In terms of an upgrade i know now u cant get an upgrade to a 3g iphone unless its a full upgrade. No partial upgrades on the 3g iphone.

21. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

Probably. Don't you remember about when you entered your 2 yr contract? Usually when the two years is up they treat is as a month-to-month arrangement.

22. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yup, I'll probably upgrade 3-4 of my 3G iPhones when the new stuff gets released....:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

23. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

You are overlooking one important fact. Current AT&T customers on a subsidized plan were required to be upgrade eligible to get the iPhone 3G for the subsidized price. I don't understand why people can't understand this. AT&T's precedent with the iPhone 3G was customers must be upgrade eligible for the subsidized price. That included original iPhone owners (no subsidy) and new customers which made up the bulk of iPhone 3G sales.

As it seems no one can understand this concept, perhaps you should make a sticky thread.

Uh huh... under threat of leaving their exclusive carrier through 2010, I suppose? What is Apple going to say, "Hey ya know what guys, why don't you pay us *more* money so you can charge your customers *less*!" I don't think so.