Will AT&T pay for my early termination fee?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by themoonisdown09, Nov 25, 2008.

1. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I am currently on Verizon and my 2-year contract with them doesn't end until January 2010. My wife's LG Chocolate phone is already dying (I have one too and it is a horrible phone) and we don't want to buy another phone because we will have to pay the full price. So now we are both planning on getting iPhones in January.

Since I still have a year left on my 2-year contract, I will have to pay about $125 for an early termination fee. I was wondering if AT&T would reimburse me for the early termination fee if I switch over to them and got a 2-year contract with two iPhones.

Has anyone done this? Do you think it is possible? Thanks in advance.

2. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

There was one guy like a week ago that called AT&T and asked them if there was any kind of promotion for "jumpers" (He was with VZW) and they gave him a $125 credit. You should call and ask

3. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Can't say since I live in the UK - but that would never happen here.

Thats like.. £60? Just pay it. If you want an iPhone that bad, and your LG's are dying, it works out as £2.50 for every month of a 2 year contract to cancel.

That's nothing.

4. themoonisdown09 thread starter macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

We're planning on canceling our contract in January and getting the iPhones no matter what. I was just wondering if AT&T would pay for it, that's all.

5. preguntonontrac macrumors 6502

thst's good to know i will call verizon if they can do my termination because i want one of those chocolates.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Definitely call them. Their reps have wide latitude in incentives to bring on new contract holders.

7. preguntonontrac macrumors 6502

Chocalate the best phone available i totally gonna cal them to dump my 3g

8. themoonisdown09 thread starter macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Thanks everyone... except for preguntonontrac. I will definitely give them a call today. I'm so ready to get rid of these LG Chocolate phones.

9. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Good on you :)

I remember when the Chocolate series was released here in the UK.

Oh, dear..

10. preguntonontrac macrumors 6502

Dont take it personal just messing with the chocolate... not you :/

11. gadgetdad macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

LOL

Why dont you two just switch phones.

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Unless you're willing to make a move today, calling them is pointless.

13. themoonisdown09 thread starter macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I guess that's true. I'll just wait until January to ask them. Thanks.

14. Y2JDMBFAN macrumors regular

I called and tried to get them to give me a credit if I brought my girlfriend's number over from Verizon on a new line and they said the couldn't do that anymore.

15. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I also tried to get them to do something for me when I was switching from Quest, and they told me they stopped doing that.

16. jlwillia macrumors regular

It's all a bunch of B.S. I think employees at AT&T have the discretion to give credits/incentives to customers who switch carriers, but some choose not to based on their "feeling" of the situation.

For example, if someone walks into the store and seems set on buying an iPhone, but would like some sort of credit for doing so, the ATT employee has no incentive to provide any credit because they may think this person will switch regardless.

On the other hand, if a person walks into the store and is very apprehensive about switching and has a "take it or leave it" attitude, my guess is the ATT employee will offer credits to create incentive for the person to switch.

It's all about incentives. We all react to incentives and disincentives. My guess is that if ATT thinks they need to provide a specific person with an incentive to switch, they will do so. Of course, there are limits to the incentives they are willing to offer.

My estimate is that ATT is willing to offer up to $150 - $200 worth of credits to get a new iPhone customer in a 2 year contract. This is just a guess that cannot be corroborated.

17. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I think it might be key to ask if there is any "competitive upgrade PROMOTIONS" and not ask if you can get a discount. Makes it sound like you are trying to make a sound buying decision and not just trying to get them to pay your way over.

18. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

No, AT&T is not going to pay it. Though you can tell AT&T you are moving from a competing network and they should give you a $25 dollar credit per line, it should reduce the sting a bit.

19. dubels macrumors 6502

No AT&T will not give you the credit. Unless the rep is in dire need to meet his/her numbers or is a close friend of yours. A $125 credit is a lot of money, when I worked at AT&T there was many people coming in for the iPhone asking if we would cover their cancellation fee at another carrier, we never did it once. If you really want to try do it near the end of the month and away from the holiday season. Try to find a rep that looks like they need the sale and talk (aka "hint" at landlines, Uverse (big one), etc.) with them and act like you are interested in opening a more than just a cell line with them. They get credit for opportunities that they open too not just sells and the prospect of opening a landline or uverse line is a big deal for the manager. Just give them the most motivation to throw you a bone and maybe you'll prove me wrong.

20. TheMBC macrumors 6502

They already do... it's called a subsidy :rolleyes: ;) :D

21. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

friend attempted 5 times to get ATT to cover his VZW term fees, no go.

22. jlwillia macrumors regular

I obviously mean in addition to the subsidy on the phone.

23. TheMBC macrumors 6502

LOL, I know, I kid, I kid.

I wish T-Mobile would pay my early termination fee...
    ugh.