Carrier Will AT&T Throttle Me iPhone 6S+

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheShinyMac, Nov 13, 2015.

1. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

Hey all,
    Original Unlimited AT&T Data Subscriber,

Got a text stating I'm currently at 16.5 GB for this cycle and if I reach 22 before the end, I'll be facing reduced speeds at times of "congestion".

With that $100 million fine AT&T is facing from the FCC, am I still going to be throttled?

I upgraded from an iPhone 4s, and LOVED it so far, my media consumption comes from my use of Spotify and video streaming.

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

3. barkomatic macrumors 68040

After 22 GB's you *may* be throttled for now.

At least it's much better than before. It used to be there was a hard throttle at a measly 5GB regardless.

4. TheShinyMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

Ah I see now, well 22 is a lot of gigs,
    Not to rehash what's been said, but to me unlimited means no limits!
    My cycle restarts soon so I should be okay.
    Hopefully AT&T doesn't raise the price

5. af21187 macrumors 6502

With Sprint, T-Mobile, and Verizon all recently upping the price on their unlimited plans, AT&T, unfortunately, will not be far behind.

6. aneftp macrumors 68040

Verizon cannot limit LTE sim switching because of band 13 agreement with FCC.

That's why Verizon is more aggressive in trying to make unlimited data users more miserable. Because they know some Verizon users out their sim into mifi device who use it has a home internet device. We can't do that with att sim. Att could disable our data.

7. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

At the end of the day, ATT is going to see what they can get away with. If it is decided that unlimited must mean unlimited they will do a number crunch and see if the unlimited customers they currently have are worth keeping around. It's as simple as getting rid of the plan alltogether and estimating how many people are laible to switch.

I still wish I would have kept my one unlimited line, but we needed to add two lines, we needed minutes, and it just didn't make sense paying out the rear for a large minute package plus individual data packages. In hindsight, it might have been a better idea to just keep the individual line and start a second account.

Frankly though, I am surprised they've allowed i for this long. I foresee them getting rid of it alltogethernat some point, but I have been saying that for a year now lol.

8. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I feel like there should be some kind of limit to avoid people who live on bandwidth to the point it degrades the system. No hard to find WiFi these days, some need to look harder!

9. aneftp macrumors 68040

10. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

11. DeftwillP macrumors 6502

Careful with that thinking lest you want to get into a shouting match with some folks on here. I agree with you, especially when some @sshat starts posting screencaps of 100 gigs in a month of OTA LTE data. "They said unlimited data so I should get to hotspot and download all the 4k movies I want foreva!!" <-- not the intended purpose bro

12. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

No worried about "the shouting".

I have heard it all.

13. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

AT&T "might" raise the price for us unlimited data plan customers, but I doubt they will anytime soon.

14. Eileen89, Nov 13, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2015

Eileen89 macrumors 65816

For those of us with Unlimited data, there really is no reason to find WiFi. ;) As a matter of fact. Since AT&T raised the data limit to 22GB, I now keep WiFi turned off most of the time. :p

15. Snide, Nov 13, 2015

Snide macrumors 6502a

Snide

I got the notice with two weeks left in the billing cycle. I just dialed *3282# and it shows 23,087.49 MB used. I have not noticed any throttling, even in SF. I'm guessing if there was a big event at the ballpark and the cell towers were close to being maxed out, I might get throttled. But most of my use has been in Marin County which has very little congestion, pimarily in an area with 2 to 3 bars of signal.

16. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

I don't turn on wifi anymore... and my battery efficiency increased since it's not searching for a wifi signal. There have been many times I had to disconnect from crappy wifi to use my phone. Now that I don't get throttled anymore, no need for wifi anymore. Last month I used 60gb... this month I'm at 30gb with 2 weeks left in my cycle.:)

17. aneftp macrumors 68040

Depends on ur wifi connection and ur wifi router.

I got one of those new "wave 2" wifi AC mu-mimo 4x4 routers (linksys EA8500 model). Wifi antenna is awesome in my large 4000 square foot Florida Mediterranean style custom home with 25 foot ceilings.

Before my belkin 900 AC router antenna couldn't get to all parts of the house and wifi extender I used with D link was flaky and had to be reset every couple of days.

But I got a very good high power antenna wifi AC wave 2 router in the house and prefer my steady 50mpbs cable internet vs ATT LTE varies from 5-7 mpbs to 80 mpbs.

I just wished I had 1gpbs internet service that available 15 miles away in downtown Orlando!

18. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Truer words.

19. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

So is that why my Netgear 300 Wireless G router won't reach my California Mexican influenced detached second guest house with helipad? What would you recommend?

20. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Entitlement strong in this thread it is...

21. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

Entitlement to what?

22. Snide, Nov 13, 2015

Snide macrumors 6502a

Snide

Not so sure about that. I've been on the $30 unlimited data plan since 2007, which included 22 months on the original iPhone with its brutally slow Edge speeds. I endured getting throttled at 2GB on my "unlimited" data plan. I also endured literally hundreds of dropped calls after the flood of new iPhones on the network overloaded it, and it took forever for AT&T to fix the problem...

I am FINALLY starting to use a substantial amount of data, with the understanding that I might get throttled after 22GB in congested areas. If that makes me entitled (or anyone else who purchased an **unlimited** data plan in good faith), then so be it.

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

We are entitled cause AT&T forced us to unlimited data if we wanted the iphone?
    Then they started changing their tune and decided they can make way more money with data overages.
    Or is AT&T entitled to charging us more and keep changing the data deal to their advantage?

24. imlynxy macrumors 65816

Agree, Att got many of the customers only because Apple iphone agreement.

Also I want to say that Att has better than t-mo network, but I read today that t-mo has 8 percent of their towers conjested as now. It means that Att had less than 8 percent. Plus att is loosing customers to t-mo. That is why ii is very rare to be throttled in att network.

I can say that t-mo has slower and slower speed here in Boston. Not conjested yet, but dropped 2-3 times. Sooner or later they will have this problem. They aware about the proble and launced video data compression. How many regular customers know about it, they just read on "cnn" that they have unlimited video, but never read fine print.

25. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

But at least Verizon has stated that they will not throttle unlimited data users.