Will AT&T TV work on the new iPhone ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by scott99, Jun 16, 2008.

1. scott99 macrumors 6502a

I know you can get AT&T TV on the new LG Vu and the Blackjack, but what about iPhone 2 ? I currently own a first generation iPhone, and plan on keeping it until my contract ends in Sept 2009, but I will eventually get the iPhone 2.

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I don't know anything about AT&T TV, so I can't say for sure, but my guess is probably not. Keep in mind, though, that a lot can change in 15 months.

3. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Unless they create an app for it then I highly doubt it.

4. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

Until we find out what chip is being used in the new phone we won't know for sure. Then if they are using the new sgold chip I think the hardware is there. Next thing is then ensuring Apple allows access to it via software. So there is a chance, but you can figure out the percentage.

I am not trying to be negative, but I was really let down about no front camera so I am not setting myself up for greater disappontment.

5. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Which ATT TV?

MediaFLO (from Qualcomm), such as in the Vu, requires a hardware broadcast receiver and antenna. If the iPhone had those, it would've been big news.

Mobile TV, which other smartphones receive over the net, requires the ability to decode RTSP streaming video. So far as we know, the iPhone can't do that yet.

6. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

As the OP brought up the LG Vu, I assumed they were referring to the hardware (DVB) version. You know it is possible not to have an external antenna now that Apple has moved to plastic backing, is it not? If the new chip really only needs two antennas (as suggested) they would already be setup to do this with a software/firmware update assuming you don't need that hideous antenna that is on the Vu.

EDIT: of course making the assumption they used the Sgold chip. I was going to post a link to the PDF, but it appears Infineon has removed or changed the link to the rumored chip. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=467900