Will AT&T unlock IPhones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by abhi104, Jul 27, 2010.

1. abhi104 macrumors newbie

After U.S. Government to Explicitly Allow iPhone Unlock/Jailbreak, Will AT&T provide an unlock to IPhone 4 users?

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

NO. :(

edit: At lease not as long as their are the "exclusive" provider, once the Phone make it to another carrier them maybe, maybe you'll see a very slim and small possibility of this happening, but even them (i, personally) think that it won't happen

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, no US iphones can be officially unlocked.
    Thanks AT&T:rolleyes:

4. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

It depends on what happens in the class action suit pertaining to it, but for now it's a no

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

6. rans0m00 macrumors 6502

I don't know even with the class action. I will think bet if your in contract its not getting unlocked. Maybe the ones that are not will though.

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Nope. Doesn't matter.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The class action suit has nothing to do with unlocking iphones. Its against AT&T and Apple monopoly and such.
    Also the US Government not making JB and unlocking illegal doesnt mean anything even close to at&t or Apple having to unlock any US iphones.

9. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Yeah, it doesn't matter, Contract only force you to "keep" your service for at least 24 Months, the phone, the plan, the services are not tight the contract. AT&T doesn't care if you are using a cup with a string to talk, as long as you pay monthly for your service.

10. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

The whole point of the class action suit is that even after your two year contract is up you are required to stay with AT&T because they will not unlock your device. It stands to reason that if the suit won then AT&T/Apple would have to correct this, resulting in the unlocking of handsets.

11. Fabienne macrumors 65816

Fabienne

Hell no.

Just because jailbreaking (continues) to be legal, that does not mean that AT&T will indulge in it. That would be cutting their own throat, you know.

12. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Since cell cos. have been locking phones for years, and not unlocking them at the end of the contract, why is this lawsuit being filed only now and with respect to the iPhone?

(BTW, I fully agree locking is an odious practice, but it's not a question of whether I don't like it but rather whether it is illegal.)

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It would be great if it went thru but I'm not holding my breath:)

14. big0mar macrumors regular

What in the world would be their motivation to unlock your phone?

15. jhinds macrumors newbie

16. lily69 macrumors regular

We need some basic human rights, they selling unlocked iPhone even in China.

17. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

Many companies will unlock your phone once you have satisfied the contract. I have done it 2 or 3 times while I was with tmobile.

Me either, just pointing out that if the stars aligned it could happen

18. XJ13sd macrumors member

I started a thread on this Yesterday morning, search before posting please.

19. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You need a realistic sense of perspective, not hyperbole. Basic human rights are things like a roof over your head, clean water, food to eat and the right to your beliefs free for persecution. Not an unlocked shiny consumer trinket.

20. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

The government did not explicitly allow jailbreaking. They just said that jailbreaking does not violate the DMCA. This does not grant the practice protection from any other law or regulation. Apple was never going after jailbreakers under DMCA grounds anyways so the ruling changed nothing.

21. applekiwipeach macrumors member

Does AT&T unlock the iPhone after a customer has fulfilled the 24 months contract?

22. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

No. Don't be ridiculous. If you've got some cheapo flip phone, AT&T will unlock it after you've fulfilled your contract. However because of the exclusive contract, you have a while to wait.

23. applekiwipeach macrumors member

This is simply crazy... I didn't know it and called AT&T immediately after seeing your post... yep, you're right...

It just doesn't make sense to have my phone locked with AT&T for the rest of its life while my contract is just for 24 months...:mad: i didn't know.. i should have gotten the unlocked and sticked with my $49 family plan instead of the $69 at AT&T... not cool...

24. NicoleRichie macrumors 6502

Prediction... iPhone not exclusive to AT&T (when that is going to be is a great guess), you will see them unlocked following a contract.