Will AT&T unlock IPhones?

abhi104

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
INDIA
After U.S. Government to Explicitly Allow iPhone Unlock/Jailbreak, Will AT&T provide an unlock to IPhone 4 users?

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
After U.S. Government to Explicitly Allow iPhone Unlock/Jailbreak, Will AT&T provide an unlock to IPhone 4 users?
NO. :(

edit: At lease not as long as their are the "exclusive" provider, once the Phone make it to another carrier them maybe, maybe you'll see a very slim and small possibility of this happening, but even them (i, personally) think that it won't happen

Comment

rans0m00

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
I don't know even with the class action. I will think bet if your in contract its not getting unlocked. Maybe the ones that are not will though.

Comment

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
The class action suit has nothing to do with unlocking iphones. Its against AT&T and Apple monopoly and such.
Also the US Government not making JB and unlocking illegal doesnt mean anything even close to at&t or Apple having to unlock any US iphones.

Comment

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I don't know even with the class action. I will think bet if your in contract its not getting unlocked. Maybe the ones that are not will though.
Yeah, it doesn't matter, Contract only force you to "keep" your service for at least 24 Months, the phone, the plan, the services are not tight the contract. AT&T doesn't care if you are using a cup with a string to talk, as long as you pay monthly for your service.

Comment

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
The class action suit has nothing to do with unlocking iphones. Its against AT&T and Apple monopoly and such.
Also the US Government not making JB and unlocking illegal doesnt mean anything even close to at&t or Apple having to unlock any US iphones.
The whole point of the class action suit is that even after your two year contract is up you are required to stay with AT&T because they will not unlock your device. It stands to reason that if the suit won then AT&T/Apple would have to correct this, resulting in the unlocking of handsets.

Comment

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
The whole point of the class action suit is that even after your two year contract is up you are required to stay with AT&T because they will not unlock your device. It stands to reason that if the suit won then AT&T/Apple would have to correct this, resulting in the unlocking of handsets.
Since cell cos. have been locking phones for years, and not unlocking them at the end of the contract, why is this lawsuit being filed only now and with respect to the iPhone?

(BTW, I fully agree locking is an odious practice, but it's not a question of whether I don't like it but rather whether it is illegal.)

Comment

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
It would be great if it went thru but I'm not holding my breath:)

Comment

lily69

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2010
We need some basic human rights, they selling unlocked iPhone even in China.

Comment

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
Since cell cos. have been locking phones for years, and not unlocking them at the end of the contract, why is this lawsuit being filed only now and with respect to the iPhone?

(BTW, I fully agree locking is an odious practice, but it's not a question of whether I don't like it but rather whether it is illegal.)
Many companies will unlock your phone once you have satisfied the contract. I have done it 2 or 3 times while I was with tmobile.

It would be great if it went thru but I'm not holding my breath:)
Me either, just pointing out that if the stars aligned it could happen

Comment

XJ13sd

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2010
I started a thread on this Yesterday morning, search before posting please.

Comment

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
We need some basic human rights, they selling unlocked iPhone even in China.
You need a realistic sense of perspective, not hyperbole. Basic human rights are things like a roof over your head, clean water, food to eat and the right to your beliefs free for persecution. Not an unlocked shiny consumer trinket.

Comment

Block

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
The government did not explicitly allow jailbreaking. They just said that jailbreaking does not violate the DMCA. This does not grant the practice protection from any other law or regulation. Apple was never going after jailbreakers under DMCA grounds anyways so the ruling changed nothing.

Comment

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
No. Don't be ridiculous. If you've got some cheapo flip phone, AT&T will unlock it after you've fulfilled your contract. However because of the exclusive contract, you have a while to wait.
Does AT&T unlock the iPhone after a customer has fulfilled the 24 months contract?

Comment

applekiwipeach

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2010
No. Don't be ridiculous. If you've got some cheapo flip phone, AT&T will unlock it after you've fulfilled your contract. However because of the exclusive contract, you have a while to wait.
This is simply crazy... I didn't know it and called AT&T immediately after seeing your post... yep, you're right...

It just doesn't make sense to have my phone locked with AT&T for the rest of its life while my contract is just for 24 months...:mad: i didn't know.. i should have gotten the unlocked and sticked with my $49 family plan instead of the $69 at AT&T... not cool...

Comment

NicoleRichie

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
Prediction... iPhone not exclusive to AT&T (when that is going to be is a great guess), you will see them unlocked following a contract.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.