Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
I'm curious... I'm halfway through my contract and will be purchasing the next iPhone outright. Do you think they will unlock it for me? I've never really cared/looked into the process of unlocking so if not, under what conditions will they do this? Thanks! :apple:

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
I believe if you buy outright from Apple, it's already factory unlocked.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
I believe if you buy outright from Apple, it's already factory unlocked.

Didn't think about, nor know that. I might be forced to go with AT&T this year (unless they do what they did last year and not launch the phone) (And yes I have to have it at launch :D) because the closest Apple store to me is a little more than three hours away. :/ :apple:

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Contract-free iPhone 4S purchased through the Apple store are already factory unlocked and there's no reason to believe it'd be any different for the iPhone 5.

----------

Didn't think about, nor know that. I might be forced to go with AT&T this year (unless they do what they did last year and not launch the phone) (And yes I have to have it at launch :D) because the closest Apple store to me is a little more than three hours away. :/ :apple:

Well, in that case, they'll unlock it once your contract is up.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
Contract-free iPhone 4S purchased through the Apple store are already factory unlocked and there's no reason to believe it'd be any different for the iPhone 5.

----------

Hmmm... didn't know they made you wait until the contract was over. What's the "if your account is in good standing" quote I've been hearing. Shouldn't matter if your contract is up, no?

moosquared

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2010

----------

With the 4S, some people are still getting the locked version even though they bought it at a full retail price. So if you're going to pay for the full retail price, make sure you ask them if it's factory unlocked. Better be safe.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Hmmm... didn't know they made you wait until the contract was over. What's the "if your account is in good standing" quote I've been hearing. Shouldn't matter if your contract is up, no?

People have called and given various excuses (like traveling abroad) to convince them to unlock, but generally they're not obligated to unlock until your contract is over. You can try that and it should be a lot easier than trying to convince them to get your iPhone eligibility date bumped.

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
People have called and given various excuses (like traveling abroad) to convince them to unlock, but generally they're not obligated to unlock until your contract is over. You can try that and it should be a lot easier than trying to convince them to get your iPhone eligibility date bumped.

Yeah I've also heard that AT&T won't unlock an iPhone still in contract. But you have heard of people actually getting them to do so? I'm on my second attempt trying to get my 4S unlocked through AT&T, first attempt they couldn't do it.

I purchased the phone from a friend, but I'm personally not on contract.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Only when you're contract is up they will unlock it.
Or if you sign another contract with a new device. Lets say you do an early upgrade for the iphone 5 by paying the additional $250.
Then you're in contract with the new iphone 5 and your old 4S is off contract and eligable for unlock.

moosquared

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2010
The traveling abroad excuse (even if you really are traveling abroad) has been used an infinite number of time that I doubt it still work. Lol. But you can always try. :)

cynikal

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2003
I'm curious... I'm halfway through my contract and will be purchasing the next iPhone outright. Do you think they will unlock it for me? I've never really cared/looked into the process of unlocking so if not, under what conditions will they do this? Thanks! :apple:

unless you pay the early termination fee OR your contract is 'satisifed' you can't get your at&t supplied locked phone unlocked any way (like someone said, you can buy an unlocked one but not from AT&T).. only loophole i found was to 'upgrade' my iphone 4, to an iphone 4s (this assumes one is eligible for upgrade).. THEN you can unlock your old iphone 4 "before" your contract is up (though technically the contract is satisfied because you started a new contract w/ the iphone 4s).

It goes like this, the iphones retails for over $500-600 dollars unlocked, you're only getting it for $199/299 though locked, because you're agreeing to a 2-year contract. You pay an ETF within the first few months, you'll be paying likely more than it would have cost just buying an unlocked phone from Apple direct. I am considering going with SmartTalk and an unlocked iphone 5 since I really hate on AT&T :p

back story, i actually WAS traveling overseas, have been an AT&T member since 2006 but they would still not unlock my phone any way (they sorta have you all by the balls basically and don't feel they have to do you ANY favors). So I went on my trip, came back and returned the iphone 4s, my iphone 4 stays unlocked (albeit i had to pay for activation/restocking fee, which was still cheaper than the ETF).

Now, as for asking them to give out the iphone 5 unlocked, i actually laughed when i saw that.. You do realize the kind of company AT&T is right? :) if not, re-read the part in my previous paragraphs about favors :p

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
If you need to have it on or very close to launch, maybe you can preorder from apple? It may be a good idea to check if unlocked phones will be available that way.

satchow

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2011
Other people have already said this information, but here is the official wording from AT&T themselves:

General Eligibility Requirements for Unlocking iPhone

AT&T will unlock an iPhone under the following circumstances:
•The person requesting the unlock is:
-a current AT&T customer or
-a former AT&T customer who can provide the phone number or account number for the account

•The iPhone was designed for use on AT&T's network;
•All contract obligations, including any term commitment, associated with the device to be unlocked have been fully satisfied; and
•The iPhone has not been reported lost or stolen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.