Will AT&T unlock our iPhones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SirStrumalot, Oct 16, 2011.

1. SirStrumalot macrumors 6502

For international travel? I know they haven't in the past but with Sprint and Verizon both offering their customers the service, I would think AT&T would be pressurized into following suit. What do you guys think?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

3. labman macrumors 604

labman

Considering AT&T never has before I'd say no. they won't even do it for military personal serving overseas. Policy's can change but I'm not betting on it. not sure yet if I'm going to get a 4S or keep my I4 but for my next Iphone I plan to get a officially unlocked phone.

4. aneftp macrumors 68040

AT&T says they will unlock phones 10 months after the exclusivity ends.

So they told me they would unlock my Motorola Atrix in December 2011 , 10 months after its release.

However their exclusive clause is ambiguous because technically AT&T is still the exclusive GSM provider in the USA. So the iPhone GSM exclusivity period has never ended so the clock on that 10 month period has never begun.

5. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

ATT won't but you can try the gevey sim if you want,

6. aneftp macrumors 68040

Honestly what AT&T is doing is preventing the gray market of
    shipping it's gsm phones overseas to third world countries like India.

There is a multi million dollar black market in south America and Asia for unlocked gsm phones coming from the USA.

AT&T knows it. I sell quite a lot phones on Craigslist and have meant quite a few middle men. Like I sold an old but perfect condition 3 GS to guy for. $200. He specially told me he was giving $200 cause phone was mint with a box. And he would unlock with iPad baseband and ship it down to brazil where the used 3 GS can sell for $350 easy. He gets $50 from the sell. The guys who do the actually reselling down in brazil will make $100 minus shipping costs.

That's the type of market AT&T is trying to slow down. Especially for higher end phones.