Will AT&T unlock? selling iPhone 4/S

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by iMaconApple, Apr 19, 2012.

1. iMaconApple macrumors 6502a

My friend is selling her iPhone 4 and 4S both still on contract..will AT&T factory unlock it because she no longer will have it/use iPhone anymore..

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

3. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

4. normanbates macrumors regular

She needs to have finished her contract AND upgraded. They will not unlock any iPhone associated to an account that is still in use. If she leaves AT&T once the contract has ended they will not unlock it either.

They will nly unlock iPhones where the customer has come to the end of the contract and then upgraded, effectively it's a way of trapping the customer in my opinion because if you want to go to someone else you have to leave your iPhone behind on AT&T but if you want to unlock you have to upgrade

5. iMaconApple thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok thanks guys :) very helpful and quick :) thanks a lot:) I'll put the word for her..

6. Reapro macrumors newbie

If you want it unlocked just use the new SAM solution, works perfectly, although you will have to jailbreak it first, which can be a problem if you've updated to iOS 5.1.

7. mastsethi macrumors member

Not before the contract gets over. AT&T has to recover the cost of the phone via contract.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can always try contacting AT&T.
    I heard many people unlocking their iphones that are still under contract.
    Its not impossible if you get a nice and helpfull rep.