Will AT4K ever be able to play YouTube in 4K?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by NICKXXXXXX, Sep 24, 2017.

1. NICKXXXXXX macrumors regular

so I was just about to buy the new Apple TV when I heard that it doesn't play YouTube in 4K. How can you have a 4K device that doesn't even play 4K on the biggest video streaming service? I'm thinking about selling my current AT and just buy a PS4. The prices don't differ so much anyways. I also have a smart tv so for e.g Netflix I've always used through the smart tv app since that's the only way I've been able to watch 4K. I don't know what's going on in Apple, but they continue to over and over again make stupid moves...

2. mmomega macrumors 68030

mmomega

It will when youtube updates the youtube app for that device.

Return it.
    Stop buying things that don't do what you want them to do.

3. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

It sounds like he didn't buy it. He was asking a question about it before he made the decision.

4. boast macrumors 65816

boast

If Safari supports up to 1440p, I would hope at least that in the Apple TV

5. NICKXXXXXX thread starter macrumors regular

Exatcly!
    Yeah. All the time when I use airplay from iPad and have to quality on 1440p I get an error

6. 2010mini macrumors 601

When he’ll freezes over or Google and Apple play nice.

7. Cigsm macrumors 6502a

The problem is Google is using a format that is both unsecured and not at all the standard. Until they upgrade their format, the answer is no. Apple won’t lower their standards because google is cheap.

8. NICKXXXXXX thread starter macrumors regular

Or they could just have both...?

9. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

Apps are able to include their own codecs, like VLC and InFuse does. So Apple doesn’t need to do anything for YouTube to get their act together.

10. dombera macrumors member

dombera

Hi All,

I am sure many of you are dissapointed by Apple TV 4K not supporting YouTube 4K.

If you have a minute please file a feedback via https://www.apple.com/feedback/appletv.html, I have created a template to save you some time:

Title: Apple TV 4K - missing support for YouTube 4K

---------------

Hi,

I have purchased and received Apple TV 4K. While I am enjoying the device, I am deeply and truly disappointed that it doesn’t support the open-source VP9 video format which YouTube delivers 4K video. I was not expecting that device purchased in 2017 (especially from forward thinking company such as Apple) does not support YouTube 4K.

Please fix it otherwise as much as I like Apple products, I will look elsewhere for my TV streaming device!

Best regards,
    name

---------------

11. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

How do I submit feedback to Youtube asking them to bundle their codec in with their own app?

12. NICKXXXXXX thread starter macrumors regular

I'll buy the new AT4K anyways. I tried my built in smart tv and it's the worst **** I've ever experienced in my life when it comes to software.

13. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

i disabled all the smart tv functions as well .. i dont know how people could use them

14. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

It depends if Google ever updates their app. This is a Google issue.

15. GizmoDVD macrumors 68000

Google never updated the ATV4 app. Ever.

So blame Google.

16. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

I like my panels dumb and my devices smart.

17. Agent2015 macrumors 6502

Agent2015

I just don't understand people getting riled up about something as dumb as Google not simply updating their app appropriately. It is not Apple's responsibility. Google has had as long as developers have to update their app and they have apparently refused to to so. If you are going submit feedback send it to where it belongs namely Google!

Besides, in the meantime, I thoroughly enjoying my new ATV 4K and those lovely HDR movies that upgraded for free! Fantastic!
    --- Post Merged, Sep 25, 2017 ---
    Exactly! My now retired Samsung (was a bit over 2 years old but only HD and not 4K) and now my new LG HDR capable have awful "smart" interfaces. By comparison the ATV 4K is a pleasure to use!

18. cynics macrumors G4

Google uses VP9 encoding format for all new 4K content. Although negligible to most, they feel its better than h265 for Youtube content.

Apple doesn't support VP9, so right off that bat their is no hardware decoder built into the AppleTV 4k.

Even if Google wanted to push out a 4k YouTube update using software decoding I doubt the user experience would be good enough for them to actually do it. I think the A10X in the AppleTV could handle it but only just resulting in poor performance given the right (wrong) variables such from background taste like App updates or something.

Once I get an AppleTV 4k I plan on testing its ability to decode various formats using 3rd party apps like VLC or whatever.

19. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

VLC decodes VP9 on iOS already and the A10X should have more than enough grunt to handle it.

Downloading a 4K VP9 file and will test in VLC.

20. benji888 macrumors 68000

benji888

This really is not Apple's problem. Apple is getting flack, but, this time:

Google went all proprietary, adopting their own 4K standard (VP9), instead of HEVC/H.265 which has become the standard for, (correct me if I'm wrong), everyone else.

Google is the one to beat up this time, not Apple.

I repeat, this is Google's problem, not Apple's.
    Yes, someone link us to Google feedback for youtube...this is the only real answer, but, will they do it?

Google can make their app convert their own video codec to play on ATV 4K, questions is, will they?

All that being said, possibly the absolute worst app on ATV is the YouTube app, it really sucks, and has ever since I got my first ATV 3 (I also have the 4th gen. ATV).

Vimeo is adding Live Streaming, I can't find any info. on the codec they use for 4K, I think it may be H.264, but, if they were to adopt H.265, maybe they could be competitive with YouTube. I don't much like youtube anyway. And, I don't understand the big fuss about not being able to see YT 4K video, do they really have a lot of 4K video? Do they have quality 4K video? I mean, a lot of the 1080p HD content seems like it's upscaled, I can't imagine I'm missing all that much.

As it is, Vimeo is better on ATV than YT and I'd like to see more content move over to Vimeo myself, it'd be great if Vimeo makes improvements and takes the baton from youtube, ...now is the time.

21. PabloSRT8 macrumors member

PabloSRT8

To tell you the truth, Safari doesn't even support 8k when chrome will.... seems like Apple likes cripple certain things...

22. cynics macrumors G4

Make sure its also 60fps. The jump from 30 to 60fps will make a huge difference obviously.

23. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

Bad news with VLC unfortunately…

24. digduggler macrumors 6502

It’s almost like it’s not that simple.....

25. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

1. Go to your account icon [​IMG].

2. Click Send feedback.

3. Describe the issue you're experiencing. The more information you include in your report, the more helpful it is for us.

4. Choose if you want to include a screenshot (you can highlight any information on the screen or remove personal information that's showing).

5. Click Send.