Will ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Mac Edition work on my Dual 1.8ghz G5?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by sk8ordie, Nov 29, 2007.

1. sk8ordie macrumors regular

sk8ordie

Hello, I have a Dual 1.8ghz G5 (Nov 2003) and it uses AGP 8x for the video card.

Will the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Mac Edition work in my system? ATI/AMD website shows it works for 4x and 2x AGP, here are the specs of the card:

http://ati.amd.com/products/radeon9800/radeon9800prome/specs.html

I have an opportunity to buy one used for a good price but Im not sure if it will be compatible with my 8x AGP G5.

Any advice? Thank you.

2. sk8ordie thread starter macrumors regular

sk8ordie

The main reason for this post is that the seller tells me it will work, but when inputting my G5 model on OWC/MacSales the 9800 pro does not show up as an option.:confused:

3. 9Charms macrumors regular

9Charms

The 2x/4x AGP Radeon 9800 Pro Mac Edition will work on a G5 perfectly. I have on with 128MB and it functions flawlessly on my Dual 2.0 G5.

I was hesitant because my G5 has 8x AGP and the card is only 4x AGP. Then I read somewhere on Barefeats (I can't find the page right now, figures) that you won't notice a performance difference when putting a 4x card in a 8x slot.

Incidentally I paid $150 shipped to me in Canada for a card off eBay.

4. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

There used to be a ATI Radeon 9800 Mac PRO Special Edition especially made for the Power Mac G5 ( http://ati.amd.com/products/radeon9800/radeon9800proseme/specs.html ). The one you linked to will also work in a Power Mac G5 and perform almost the same. The only difference is that, I believe, the one you linked to requires a power connection which you have to make (with the help of a Y-splitter that is supposed to be included) to the optical drive of the Power Mac G5. The Special Edition one, doesn't require this power connection, but the Special Edition has been discontinued.

5. sk8ordie thread starter macrumors regular

sk8ordie

:eek:
    That doesnt sound like fun.....

Can anyone else confirm?

6. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Can anyone say *m*O*l*E*x*, hehehehehe :D

if not included, can be had at just about any peecee shop for ~$5.00 !

7. 9Charms macrumors regular

9Charms

ya you need the molex splitter, and yes, it should be included. If not, they're like $2 at a cheap PC place ($15 at BestBuy); infact it will cost you more in time and gas than the thing is worth...

Anyways, the procedure requires about the same amount of skill as installing a hard drive. The optical drive is soooo easy to remove, and you don't need any tools. It's a piece of cake, don't worry, you can't possibly screw it up.

Come to think of it, while you're at it, you may as well pick up a lightscribe dual layer burner while you're at the PC shop (LG works without drivers) and replace your optical drive entirely (don't forget to remove the faceplate)... and since you're already there picking up a couple things, you may as well pickup a cheap new hard drive... and more RAM.... maybe an internal fan to keep the PCI section cool... and some oscillating blue lights you can see through the grill on the G5...

8. Blogger macrumors 6502

Don't forget the nuclear power supply upgrade.

9. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy