Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ej2zo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
I am currently receiving iphone 6 trade in credits on my monthly bill (for upgrading to a 7+ plus last year). There is about another year’s worth of credits that are due to me. Here are ATT’s terms and conditions:

• Note: Once your trade-in is received and verified, your bill credits will start within three bill cycles. You will need to pay your bill in full, remain active and in good-standing on your installment agreement to continue to receive your credits towards your installment payments. If you cancel service, your device balance (up to $970 based on which iPhone model you buy) will be due.

Will I still receive the credits if I sell the 7 plus, continue to make monthly payments paying off the 7 plus, buy a verizon iphone X under IUP and slip my ATT sim into the iphone X?

Thanks for any help.

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
I'd strongly suggest confirming with AT&T Customer Service. This can be done via Support Chat, or phoning them directly...

gabo864

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
As long as you don’t upgrade that line you will continue receiving credits. My mother in law did something similar, she didn’t sell the phone, but she gave it to a family member who also has an Att account on their own. She bought an iPhone X outright I swapped out their SIM cards and she got her credit this billing cycle no issue at all.

The only problem I see is if the person trying to buy the phone from you wants to make sure the phone is paid off, I would personally not buy a phone that’s still under an installment plan, even if getting credits. I sold my iPhone 7 Plus today and the guy buying it from me requested to go to an att store to make sure my iPhone was paid off and clean IMEI. I didn’t have any issues with that sinc my phone is paid off and considering how many scams happen online I don’t blame him for making sure everything is alright.

anish3232

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2008
Lexington, KY
I did the same thing on verizon. Bought two new phones on a new line. Canceled the line and swapped the sim. I sold one phone to an att account and one went to another Verizon account.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
Been wondering this myself. Chatted with support three times and got three different answers. Went to my local att store yesterday but after waiting 30 minutes I left. May try again today.

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Book an appointment. Much easier...

Been wondering this myself. Chatted with support three times and got three different answers. Went to my local att store yesterday but after waiting 30 minutes I left. May try again today.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
Meanwhile the demo iPhone X was frozen and no one knew how to restart it

ej2zo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
has anyone got clarification on this?

Yes. Credits will continue. I have spoken to 3 different ATT reps about this and they confirmed credits will continue. I upgraded both my lines that have the monthly credits from the iphone trade in last year. Although I am still waiting for my bill to generate to see for myself

AppleDior31

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
Yes. Credits will continue. I have spoken to 3 different ATT reps about this and they confirmed credits will continue. I upgraded both my lines that have the monthly credits from the iphone trade in last year. Although I am still waiting for my bill to generate to see for myself
I received a credit for my latest bill. It also includes the tax for the X. I thought it was a mistake. But if you confirmed it’ll continue, I guess it’s not. Good deal.

ej2zo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
So I contacted att today in regards to another matter and casually asked them again about the credits. To my utter shock, they are telling me credits will decease! Total about face.What a bunch of jokers! I literally was told by at least 5 reps through phone and chat the opposite a few weeks ago. I was on the phone today for 2 hours arguing with reps and one manager. Looks like im returning my upgrades for my credits to continue

gabo864

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
So I contacted att today in regards to another matter and casually asked them again about the credits. To my utter shock, they are telling me credits will decease! Total about face.What a bunch of jokers! I literally was told by at least 5 reps through phone and chat the opposite a few weeks ago. I was on the phone today for 2 hours arguing with reps and one manager. Looks like im returning my upgrades for my credits to continue

That’s probably coming from someone who doesn’t know what they’re talking about. That’s why I like speaking to reps on AT&T’s chat and have the chat history emailed to me! Last month I got $100 in credits thanks to that.

ej2zo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
I did the same. I had chat transcripts that apparently hold no water.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
i just did another chat and was told that the trade-in credits are tied to my current iPhone 7 — not my account. so if i trade it in, i will lose those credits.

which sucks, because the first rep i chatted with several weeks ago was very excited to tell me that i would continue getting my $25/mo trade in credits, and i'd only have to pay about $6/mo more to get the X. (for $32/mo).

i still need to get to the AT&T store and talk to someone in person.

AppleDior31

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
My most recent bill still included the credit. It also included the bill for the phone I ended up not returning because I sold it to GameStop for a $90 profit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.