Will ATT factory unlock your iPhone after contract is up?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bigbrowntruck, Jun 11, 2010.

1. bigbrowntruck macrumors member

Just wondering if you call ATT and ask to unlock the iPhone will they provide means to unlock it after your contract is up? With normal phones it seems they will unlock if you are past your contract. I don't see why iPhone should be any different because you have fulfilled the contract. Never heard of this happening so thought I would ask.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

3. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

nope but lets start getting a class action lawsuit together about it... I heard that is what you do in situations like this :p

4. shanmugam macrumors 68020

shanmugam

i asked the same question in the threads; no reply :rolleyes:

ATT should unlock it since we fulfilled the contract ... it looks though they would not and we have to fall back to other means of unlocking it ...:mad:

5. shanmugam macrumors 68020

shanmugam

probably ATT and APPLE are too big and do not abide by laws :p

iPhone is treated like some special rules... at least in USA where as every other country you can unlock it or according to the rules in the country it is unlocked in the first place itself...

6. yblanco macrumors newbie

How to start the lawsuit?

My company moved me to UK 2 months into my contract. I had to pay the ATT early cancellation fee and now I'm stuck with a phone that only works with ATT. I'll be happy to start the lawsuit if someone tells me the procedure.

7. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

what would you do with it once it's unlocked? it will ONLY work with AT&T's signal in the US so what's the point? even if Tmobile unlocked it it would be 3G less...not worth the hassle...and this is why the class action will fail

8. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

there's already a class action lawsuit filed. I hope it prevails...but i'm doubtful it will.

...just because tmobile doesn't support 3g doesn't mean the lawsuit will fail. that's the worst comment i've ever read.

9. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

Why does everyone automatically assume that people want their phones unlocked to only use them in the United States? There's a great big world out there that uses GSM, and people who travel can use local SIM cards in other countries to save money on phone calls.

10. WindowsTraitor macrumors regular

ATT paid 400$ to apple plus they expect to get 25$ extra a month from you for two years. 600$.

I believe if you offer them 1000$ they will do it. Business is business...

Why do you expect ATT to pay for the phone.. Just buy one for full price, and you won;t have to deal with this....

What a bunch of bottom feeders in this forum

11. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

Buying one full price in the US only keeps you from being under a contract. The hardware itself remains locked to AT&T even though they didn't subsidize a thing. AT&T will also give you unlock codes to basically any other phone once you are out of contract except the iPhone, which is the reason for the class action suit. It is actually one of the class action lawsuits that I hope succeed.