Will ATV4 get better?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by gpspad, Nov 27, 2015.

1. gpspad macrumors 6502

I was at target and managed to grab a ATV4 for a good price, the only problem is Im not sure its all that much better than my ATV3 right now. Specifically.....

1.) An amazon prime video app
    2.) Better photo's integration
    3.) Better home automation features
    4.) An IOS remote app

Im kind on the fence on returning it, does anyone think that any of the above will happen with future OS releases?

I know plex is a big thing, but has there been any killer ATV4 apps yet that make it a keeper?

2. zachlegomaniac macrumors 6502a

zachlegomaniac

I anticipate improvement. I mean, I can't see it going backwards, but after selling my two ATV 3's, and picking up a 4, I personally don't think there are any "killer" apps. If I could go back I would've probably just kept a 3 and waited for the App Store to grow and for Apple to release a model that supports 4K. I imagine by that time it would have a more robust App Store.

I would also factor in the cost of a decent controller (~$50) if you plan on gaming.

I'm still glad to have it. I'm hoping more apps will start cropping up. Having no keyboard option or remote app is terrible at the moment, and my biggest complaint. The Siri remote has pros and cons. I hope this helps.

3. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

I hope Amazon decide to release an app foe the ATV4.
    The Photo app needs sorting asap, I was really disappointed when I discovered that it only shows my shared albums and not my whole iCloud Photo Library, totally useless app, what were they thinking.
    I can live without the iOS app personally, but it should have been updated for the ATV4 on release.

Despite these complains I do love the ATV4 and wouldn't even consider returning it. Plex was the 'killer feature' that made me upgrade from my ATV2.

4. interfreak macrumors regular

interfreak

Of course it will get better.

I think people need to realise that tvOS is a brand new OS in the Apple ecosystem, so in essence they have 'reset' Apple TV back to square one. Think of it as being where the iPad was in 2010.

Over time, apps will get vastly better and a lot will be designed specifically designed for Apple TV. I think it is inevitable that Amazon Prime will come to Apple TV, the market will be too large to ignore.

An iOS app is likely imminent, and there are already some basic home automation apps on the App Store. There will be interface improvements, and Siri will be better integrated as time goes on. A year from now, Apple TV will a very sleek, well developed and very desirable device.

5. benjitek, Nov 27, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2015

benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

I purchased all the new streamers, wound up returning them and keeping the ATV4. Personally, I like the 2nd-screen effect of using the native AirPlay on my iPhone 6S Plus with Amazon and their most recent X-Ray feature. Instead of covering up the TV screen with IMDB info while the media is playing, it's running separately on my iPhone screen -- even shows me what scene I'm currently watching. That functionality alone has me checking Amazon Prime Instant Video first to see if something I want to watch is there as opposed to other sources.

The photos integration with a separate Samsung app for my SmartTV actually works better than Apple's, but after playing around with it a couple times, I don't really care. It taught me that in all actuality, I've no real desire to view my photo's on the television.

Looking forward to Bluetooth keyboard integration so that I can use my MacBook's TypeetTo app for text entry, but it's more of a 'whenever' feature -- I know it'll come in the next update or 2, not a huge deal -- it's more something for reviewers to comment on to inflate their review word-counts.

For me, home automation equates to 2 LED WEMO lightbulbs their controller, none of which are HomeKit compatible but can be controlled with a Today Screen pulldown from my iPhone, so, not a deal-breaker.

Plex is great, I use it a lot -- but it has more functionality on other platforms. If I weren't sticking with the ATV4, I'd have kept the Roku-4. You have to decide what's important to you now vs. what you're will to wait for arrival in a firmware update. I don't think you'll find a decision to be made for you in a user forum... :oops:

6. zedsdead macrumors 68040

I am seriously counting on it....really a poor release. Never really thought I would be considering returning it either. This is par for the course with Apple though....like iWork and Fcp, it needs time for them to bring back basic features it always used to have.

The design is nice and some of the Siri features are fantastic, but for something that was in the making for years and a 4th generation product it's a disappointing release. I'm hanging in their though, and I expect by next September it will be in much better shape.

My top three: AirPlay that works, iCloud Photo Library (Bizarre exclusion), and chapter markers.

Things that aren't apple fault, but I would like: Netflix UI back to what it was, Amazon app and more news channels.

7. o0OBillO0o macrumors member

o0OBillO0o

7.1 Audio support is a big improvement.

All it needs is a browser, email, messaging, and the other "productivity" apps, and then hook it up to a HDMI-enabled monitor and use a BT keyboard and trackpad and off you go.

8. Rigby macrumors 601

No one knows. I hope Apple doesn't view this as a little side project anymore and puts some more effort behind it than in the past, but the lackluster launch doesn't instill me with confidence.
    I haven't seen any yet. There are some nice casual games, some of which are included if you have the iOS version (e.g. for me, Alto's Adventure, Badlands and Geometry Wars 3 ported over). I don't buy games with continuous in-app purchases either, but there are still nice ones coming out on iOS that only require a one-time payment.

One app I'm looking forward to is Infuse. If it works as advertised, it may allow me to replace the old WD TV that I'm only keeping around for streaming movies I ripped from my discs from my NAS. I'm not a fan of Plex but would prefer an app that doesn't require a server component.

9. thisismyusername macrumors member

Amazon probably wants Prime on the AppleTV just as much as Apple wants iTunes on the Fire TV. Right now, they're both trying to own the living room and I don't think you'll see Prime on the AppleTV any time soon, if ever. I think the only way this will happen is if Amazon gives up on the Fire TV. After all, they probably could have gotten on older AppleTVs if they really wanted but that never happened. This is actually one of the big reasons I switched to a Roku.

10. aces99 macrumors 6502

aces99

I was going to get the ATV 4 but then decided til ATV 5. Hopefully the next version will have 4K support, a IOS remote app, better photo integration & a better app ecosystem for it. I wasn't very impressed with ATV 4 and everyone I know that purchased one returned them. Hopefully the next version will be worth getting.

11. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Apple circa 2015 is a more muted gender neutral company. I've had great success in accepting their modest progress as the new normal. It just works

Yes I'm certain ATV4 will get better over some time frame.

12. Starfia macrumors 6502

Starfia

Of course it will get better – it's a brand new platform for Apple and for developers. And Apple isn't calling it a hobby anymore; they're calling it "the future of TV."

As for your specifics: Amazon Prime's absence could be deliberate. Home automation might be possible, but they've never really hinted at this that I'm aware of. Photos? I'm not sure what you're thinking, but no promises there either. And iOS remotes – most people seemed surprised those didn't show up right away. Again, that was never promised, but they're obviously capable of them and still support them on the previous platform, so I'm guessing soon.

13. Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

So do I but I don't think it will happen anytime soon. I mean that would imply that both companies really care about their customers, and we know that ain't true ;)

14. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

15. Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

16. Graphixx30 macrumors newbie

Graphixx30

How will an Amazon app work on the ATV4? Doesn't Apple take a cut of all purchases made through apps? I don't see Amazon giving Apple a part of it's video rentals/purchases. This is why you can't rent or buy movies in the Amazon Video app on the iPhone and iPad.

17. Rigby macrumors 601

If it's true, the ATV app will probably be a "view only" app like the iOS versions.

18. tgwaste macrumors 6502a

tgwaste

The App Store is the ONLY thing that matters. It opens the flood gates. It improves the whole concept 1000% fold.

Whatever you're looking for the App Store makes possible.

19. rkieru macrumors member

rkieru

In all likelihood any Amazon Video app for the aTV4 would simply be a port of the existing iPhone/iPad app. You would not be able to make any purchases, but you would be able to access the Prime Library and stream. For anything that required a purchase you would simply be given instructions on how to place the order in your browser.

It's how plenty of companies avoid paying Apple their in-app purchase tithe.

20. MacVault macrumors 65816

Any rumors of a Google Photos app for ATV4? Someone please say YES!

21. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'm waiting for the Google Play Music app for the Apple TV.

Have you sent google feedback? I'm sure if enough people do, they'll get the point.