will average consumers upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by McDLT, Jun 5, 2008.

1. McDLT macrumors regular

i don't know what it's like in your area, but i live in nyc and basically everyone has an iphone. i would expect that most people are not even aware of 3g networks, etc. do you expect that a significant # of current iphone owners will be moved to upgrade to the v2 iphone?

2. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

I know that when that happens (unless there a better upgrade) i don't need 3g, because i can connect to wifi for most of the day. I would like to buy a old iphone for really cheap

3. neven macrumors 6502a

I don't see a significant chunk of current iPhone owners upgrading before Christmas (even that's a bit early) but the market still has lots of potential new customers in it. The new iPhone should be more attractive to those.

And then there's dorks like us :) We don't make up a giant portion of the user base, but boy are we a loud one.

4. cyclone84 macrumors regular

Interesting...but what about Kwanzaa?

5. ballen420 macrumors 6502

6. ballen420 macrumors 6502

I'd be willing to bet a lot of people without 3G coverage will buy it, not thinking of checking the coverage areas, but enticed by the 'faster download speeds'. Once they open that puppy out and try it out, they won't want to return it.

I'm holding off - I live just south of Boston, and we don't even have coverage where I live. I can deal with Edge, considering it's leaps and bounds beyond that crappy Verizon 'innahnet' I used to have.

7. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Almost everyone I know that has an iPhone plans on upgrading but I suspect they still are waiting to see what the prices will be for the phones AND to see if they can get some discount for upgrading.

If the prices are pretty high, I am sure 2-3 will just keep their old one

8. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Everyone I know that has one plans on upgrading, including a few college-aged girls that know absolutely nothing about technology.

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I don't know the demographics of the "average consumers" in my area, but if "nearly the entire population (over 8,000,000) of nyc already has an iPhone" would suggest that Apple has exceeded their goal for iPhone sales and are 20%/2,000,000 from meeting their goal of 10,000,000. LOL :D

10. Corbet macrumors member

They won't. The average teenage/20 something girl who owns an iPhone doesn't even know what a 3G network is, all they care about is a phone that is easy to text with.

11. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

No. People aren't going to dump $400+ on a new phone each year just because it has new features. There will be an arseload of new buyers, but it would take some severe discount for me to do such a thing (read: gimme it for $200 for a 32GB model).

12. drchipinski macrumors 6502

drchipinski

"Most" consumers bought version 1.0 and the coolness factor is still there. I doubt there will me a mad rush on 2.0 like there was on 1.0

13. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

3 of my friends and myself have all sold our current iPhone and plan on buying a 3G phone the first day they are available.

14. ACKRITE macrumors member

ACKRITE

InNAHnet!! Just priceless...wicked pissa!

15. born4sky macrumors 6502a

born4sky

well I am getting it anyway ... this one is to buggy and not to mention speaker quality

16. BulkHedd macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

This brings up something that's been on my mind. When they announce the new iPhone are us old iPhone users going to be left behind?
    Will we get the 2.0 firmware update and will there be lots of applications to buy in the store that work on the old iPhone?

3G isn't really much of a selling point for me and, since I just got my iPhone in September, I'm not in a big hurry to upgrade.

I just hope they intend to continue taking care of the rather large existing user base.

17. parham55 macrumors member

current users will have the 2.0 software available to them.

I don't think the "average" user will upgrade. I only know 2 people with an iPhone and one is an apple freak and he will upgrade the other is a trendy girl that still thinks it is cool and would rather buy shoes.

18. BanjoBanker macrumors 6502

BanjoBanker

I have been happy with the EDGE network on my Day 1 iPhone. 3G would be nice for some things, but not for 80% of my mobile internet use. That said, I am seriously considering buying the v2 iPhone next week.:D I am willing to get in line if need be; it would not be the first line I was in a t an Apple event - Tiger, Leopard, new store, iPhone, lots of lines! :cool::apple: