Will be a fail or not?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bleta, Jul 5, 2013.

1. bleta macrumors newbie

if apple does not fit quadcores on 13'' pro models??

I think this will be a huge fail!

what do you think?

2. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

even with it being dual core its still the most selling macbook. So i doubt it would fail anytime soon.

3. bleta thread starter macrumors newbie

I think that to many people with 2012 and back models are waiting for the quadcores to upgrade..so if there no quadcores this year they will be wait for the next ones in 2014..

no major performace updates happened to 2011 - 2012 models so too many people are waiting for more cores..

4. chabig macrumors 68040

I think current performance is great for a notebook computer. Haswell will stretch the battery life further. I'll take the battery life instead of more cores.

5. bleta thread starter macrumors newbie

the thing is to get both...
    Like we don't have the technology yet for better battery life with better machines..

6. Hman81 macrumors newbie

Until apple are able to put a six core in a 15Rmbp there wont be a quad core 13rmbp. :p

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Other then members here, i.e., technical folks. I don't think most people care about quad core when buying laptops.

I've visited the apple store enough and don't ever hear a customer as about the benefits of quad core vs. dual core

8. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Exactly. It depends how one defines fail. From Apple's point of view and from a sales point of view it will be far from a fail. Most buyers purchase on price point and the dual core 13" cMPB or rMPB fit the bill perfectly. Most buyers don't care about how many cores it has.

9. ShiggyMiyamoto, Jul 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2013

ShiggyMiyamoto macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

And don't forget, if you max either 13" with an i7 CPU you'll get dual-core with HT (hyperthreading) so when needed programs will see it as a virtual quad core. :)

Also, it's not the CPU that bothers me about the 13" models... it's the fact that there's not even a midrange (i.e. lower range than the 15" cMBP and rMBP) dGPU. The Intel HD 4000 isn't bad by any stretch of the imagination, but it's slow compared to almost any dGPU on the market today.

10. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

neither do most of them seem bothered of the i5 / i7 ive seen many who go in for the 13inch picking up the i5 since its cheap and has their basic wants of a 4gb ram 500 gb hdd

11. bleta thread starter macrumors newbie

The important think is to have the option..

Ok don't put quads on the basic models..
    But let the pros and the ones that need more power with more portability to have the option to configure with a quad and better graphics for e.g..

By putting this kind of restrictions in configuration does not earn anything..
    But if they had a more open mind, people from the other target group (pros, gamers and enthusiasts) would buy the new ones and people who don't care they could buy the basic models..SO EASY ;)

12. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

So true. I can't imagine using a 5400 rpm HDD, especially after using SSD's for the past three years. And I won't buy anything that is limited to only 4GB of RAM. But we are enthusiasts and are not the typical buyer or user for Apple any more.

13. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

bleta,

"Ok don't put quads on the basic models..
    But let the pros and the ones that need more power with more portability to have the option to configure with a quad and better graphics for e.g.."

Right here, in this statement, you shoot down your own argument. If it is only for the "pros and power users" (and I assume you put yourself in that, in your mind, exalted class) then it can never be a "fail" as you claim as that group is not whom Apple has ever wanted to primarily sell their machines to. They have always wanted to sell the best and most user friendly computers to the ordinary users who use them for ordinary purposes.

14. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

I think the dual core i5 & i7 CPU's are more than adequate for the vast majority of users needs.

Maybe the Broadwell microarchitecture will make quad cores in a 13" chassis a more viable option. I don't see it happening with Haswell.

15. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

most of the pro guys use the higher end macbooks or workstation mac pros.
    The base ends are mostly catered to students or people who just wish to use their laptop for daily usage or even guys who wish to have something small to aid in mobility.
    I would however like to see a quadcore 13 inch but i guess over that it would be nice to have a discrete graphics card in it as well. Maybe not what the 15 inchers get.

16. falconeight Guest

falconeight

It depends for me. If a quad core uses more battery then I don't want or need it. If it doesn't effect battery life then I'm all for it.

17. PDFierro macrumors 68040

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'd imagine most people that dropped $1000 on a computer just a year ago (your 2012 scenario) are probably going to wait until they actually need a new computer.

I'm waiting for the retina to trickle across the lines. My 2009 MBP is holding up fine, a bit dated but I can't justify buying a new one yet.

19. omgitsbees macrumors member

That's up to the individual to decide. I have the current low end 13" model and I am more then happy with the performance. If you don't like what the 13" MBP offers, there are plenty of other 13" laptops out there from other manufacturers that will give you what you are looking for. There is also the 15" model which has quad-core options.

20. jcpb macrumors 6502a

Explain to me how you're going to cool a 45W quad-core CPU operating at full tilt inside a 20mm-thick wedge-shaped chassis? I'm not even counting the dGPU at this point.

21. takeshi74 macrumors 601

"The important thing" is subjective. As others have already pointed out, the masses don't care and it's overall sales that matter versus niche interests.

Everything's "SO EASY" when you're posting a comment on a discussion forum. Try actually developing and selling product. Not so easy. If you think there's sufficient demand for this then where are the number backing your assertion?