Will be installing Win7 ultimate on iMac

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Stealthipad, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

it a 27" i7.

Will be using boot camp. Anything special people are running into?

Are there "current" step by step instructions posted in this forum.

I will partition the 256 SSD in boot camp to leave about 25gb for OSX and the rest will go to Win7 Ultimate. This unit also has a 1TB spinner, do I need to partition it in boot campto work in Windows? I want all of it to go to Windows for storage but there might be a reason to leave something for OSX.

Help a boot camp newbie out! It has been a while since I did my current iMac.

2. lieb39 macrumors 6502

lieb39

I'd leave a bit more for OSX.
    You only need to partition the main drive / Mac OS drive to make bootcamp work.
    Once you start the wizard it'll all be straightforward.
    Make sure you have your Mac OS DVDs / and OS Install DVDs if you upgraded.

Quite straightforward now - not as messy as it used to be.

Keep in mind that you can't easily resize the partitions after though - so make a informed decision. I'll let others weight in on the sizing.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

4. Stealthipad thread starter macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

All went perfectly. I alloted 30gb to OSX on the 256SSD and installed Windows 7 Ultimate. Install went very quick on the i7 and there were no glitches. All software Windows Software was installed including CS5, Office, QBooksPro and AutoCad. Lots of software updates to go through this evening but all looks perfect.

Only thing lacking is the 1TB drive. You are right and Windows does not like the HFS+ formatting. I will boot to OSX tonight and download and install NTFS-3G and run it. I assume it will, with my prompting, format the 1TB dive to NTFS. Then OSX and Win 7 will be able to use this drive for storage.

If there is more I need to know about this please let me know.:confused:

I was smiling last night rendering some 3D objects in AutoCad on the nice 27" screen and it looked great!:D

I can't thank you enough:apple:

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It won't be formatted automatically. When you have downloaded and installed NTFS-3G, there should be option to format volumes to NTFS in Disk Utility.

It can be done under Windows as well but it's been awhile since I did it so can't give any specific steps what to do

6. Stealthipad thread starter macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I tried, in Windows, just right clicking on the HD2 drive which does show up in Windows but when I selected "Format" from the drop down windows it would not allow me to format.

I will be checking out the NTFS-3G tonight.

Even after installing all my software I still got 100+gb free as I keep my files and docs on an external HD so I am not even sure I will need the 1TB drive. If it were not so hard, I would likely remove it or unplug or turn it off to stop the additional heat.:rolleyes: