Will be the Macbook pro 15 antiglare resolution too high for me?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Michal11, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Michal11, Jul 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2011

Michal11 macrumors member

Hi guys,

after years I am really thinking about buying a new laptop and beeing little bit tired of Windows product I am seriously considering buying a new macbook pro.

The best size for me seems 15 as my current laptop is 15.4 as well. But here is a problem. I definitely want to buy an antiglare version because I just would not stand all those reflections. The problem is that antiglare version is avaiable only with higher resolution then standard macbook. And I am just afraid I will not be able to read a font nicely and I will have constant headache. I saw only standard macbook pro 15 in person and screen, fonts everything were really nice and readable, but AG resolution just seems too high on the paper.

As I said my current laptop is 15.4 and it has 1280x800 resolution. So basically guys will it be a huge difference for me? I may sound like an oldschool guy but I like 1280x800 and find this resolution almost perfect for my size. So this is what is worying me about having macbook pro 15 antiglare.

Thank you for your answers.

2. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Unless if your going outside alot where there are many bright lights, just the glossy is fine. If you DO go outside a lot and do activity go for the antiglare.

The font size can be changed in system preference so no problem.
    And the current 15in MBP's actual size is also 15.4in.

Just a quick note, glossy screen pictures/colors are actually better than glossy.
    But as you may know, glossy is very weak in bright lights.

3. Michal11 thread starter macrumors member

I travel a lot, using laptop in airplane etc so glossy really is not a choice.

So basically if my current laptop is 15.4 and resolution is 1280x800 how much smaller is everything going to be on macbook pro 15.4 antiglare version?

4. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I have to say not much at all.
    Try going to a near Apple store and check it out.
    I use a 17in 2011 with resolution of 1920x1200 and have no problem.
    It isnt small or anything to me.

If you always have a problem with the font, you can go to system preference and change the size.

5. Michal11 thread starter macrumors member

Well there is no apple store near to me so I cannot :/.

Is there some way how can I change resolution from high res to standard? In system or something? I heard it is not possible but some people say new version of Lion will be able to do that.

Or 2nd choice could be buying macbook pro 15 glossy and then put ivisor on it?

6. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

I don't why people worry about glossy screens so much. Mass hysteria? The screen is on a hinge so you minimise reflections by adjusting the angle. You'll have a stronger and less prone to damage screen than the anti glare option.

I bought the HiRes glossy and the 13" and both are great.

7. Michal11 thread starter macrumors member

Look...I am not looking for having a shiny, perfect looking toy to make childish unboxing videos and putting them on youtube.

As a enterpreuner I am looking for excellent working machine which will be used in all conditions and glossy screen is just unacceptable for this. Is it also "mass hysteria?" :)

8. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

yes, you can adjust the resolution.
    For example, on my 17in MBP I have these options in settings.

1920x1200
    1680x1050
    1600x1200
    1600x1200 stretched
    1600x1000
    1344x1008
    1344x840
    1280x1024
    1280x1024 stretched
    1280x800
    1152x720
    1024x768
    1024x768 stretched
    1024x640
    960x600
    800x600
    800x600 stretched

9. Kristine macrumors 6502a

Even though you can change the resolution of the machine, everything will appear soft-focused/blurry unless the machine is at its native resolution (on a hi-res 15" machine, the native resolution is 1680 x 1050).

10. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

true.
    which ruins the whole point of hi-res screen

11. Michal11 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah that is what I was afraid about. I will probably go into macbook pro glossy and buy moshi antiglare ivisor

12. BAC5.2 macrumors regular

I've never had any issue with the anti-glare screen and fonts being too small.

I got the anti-glare because I work outside occasionally, and was coming from a Dell with a glossy screen that drove me INSANE.

Forcing the resolution lower turns your high-res screen into something no different than the "low res" screen of the glossy version.... except that it's now anti-glare without a visor.

I'd get the anti-glare.

I'd also get a 13" if you use it on a plane a lot. I travel quite a bit, and my 15" MBP is a bit of a chore to use on flights. My arms have to be tucked in really close so that I have enough room to fit the computer on my lap without the screen touching the seat in front of me. But maybe you are shorter than me.

13. Michal11 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the answer. Forcing the resolution lower seems like a good idea, but other members say it would make the screen look really blurry so I dont know what to believe to :)

14. kasakka macrumors 68000

Never use anything but native resolution unless you're playing games (where the blur from lower res doesn't really matter). It will be harder on your eyes because they can't focus properly since everything is blurry.

IMO the 15" high res is just right. The 17" is way too high res for the resolution but the 15" works quite nicely. Of course it depends on your eyesight if this is comfortable for you.

So at least try the 15" high res first if you can find one on display.

15. randomrazr macrumors 65816

ive had a 15inch macbook pro standard glossy screen for 6 months. there is glare but not as much as people say it seems. thousands of people have bought a macbook. most of them will be standard models with the glossy screen. if glossy screens were that insaely bad than they would have never put it on there notebooks.

in regards to your buy glossy and put anti glare screen shield on it, you will hate it. putting an anti glare onto glossy will reduce screen quality and give you a tiny rainbow effect. (learned from putting an anti glare on my iphone 4 XD)

having apples anti glare is different cause the anti glare coating or film is directly on the screen so you dont lose quality nor have that rainbow effect.

anti glare will cost u 150 dollars no matter what and it only comes with high res option. you have 14 days to return it or exchange it so go with what you think, buy it, try it, and if ur unhappy, send itback fro the anti glare or vise versa.

hope this helps.

heck since u like to travel alot, the 13inch macbook air might even be a better choice. glare on that is far reduced then the macbook pros, and u dont even need an anti glare option on them cause of that. for your needs, i think should consider the macbook air 13 inch, or macbook pro 13, but since u travel alot, you will LOVE the portability of the air and its super fast SSD.

16. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

I believe Lion introduced basic resolution independence, meaning that Mac OSX objects should appear at the same size on all screens, or similiar at very least. There is also an option in system preferences to increase font size without changing resolution.
    Get the High Res you won't regret it! (I think)

17. MikeE3 macrumors newbie

Yes, any resolution other than the native mode and you'll have a fuzzy image for text etc.

For what it's worth - my take on it:

I had the same angst as you over the 'small' character size of the high-res - but I've gotten used to it and wouldn't change my decision re: getting a hi-res anti-glare display. I really like it.

For reading email and webpages, it easy to 'pinch' the size larger if so desired. It does take some getting used to, the smallish size of text when composing email.

18. madisonfaye macrumors regular

madisonfaye

First of all, all the people who claim the glossy is fine must not be using it in a wide variety of situations.

I bought an AG 15", returned it because I thought I wanted the more vivid glossy. Got the glossy, realized its really not much difference and the glare is horrendous once you've owned the AG, now I'm back to AG.

But about the font, I have no issues at all. I'm coming from a fairly large resolution on my Sony Vaio, and at first I noticed the text being smaller on the hi-res MBP. Now, my Sony Vaio just looks huge and I miss the screen real estate. My eyes have had no issues with the small text either, not to mention increasing font size on websites is as simple as Command and +. I actually never even have to increase it, but its nice that the option is there. I wouldn't personally give up the large increase in screen space for the larger text. Not to mention, its not THAT much larger on the standard res.

I wouldn't worry much about it, trust me you won't regret the AG at all.

19. BAC5.2 macrumors regular

I just forced my display to 1280x800 on my 15" AG.

Things are SLIGHTLY blurry, but ultimately no big deal.

Plus, you can always increase text size...

20. Michal11 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you guys for your answers. They were very helpful.

BAC5.2: Do you think you or somebody else who has AG version could force it to standard: 1440 by 900 resolution and make a screenshot? I would like to see how it looks.

Thank you so much

21. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

Taking a screen shot at 1440x900 isn't going to work, as that will come out looking perfect (it's captured before the screen displays it).

It's the screen that makes it look slightly blurry. The reason for this is that LCD screens need a 1:1 pixel mapping between the resolution you set and the one they support. So for a 1680x1050 display, it needs 1650 pixels along and 1050 pixels down. Since 1440 does not divide exactly into 1650, you don't get that and the display needs to try and match up the resolution as best it can, which leads to a slightly blurry picture. The only lower resolution that would match up perfectly would be 840x550, as that divides into 1680x1050 exactly twice.

You can see what the effect would be on your existing laptop by setting a resolution less than the maximum, the effect will be the same.

22. randomrazr macrumors 65816

go to the apple store to see for yourself with your own eyes.

we can tell u all u want which to get but u wont know until u see for urself

23. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

OP doesn't have a Mac store near them.

24. Michal11 thread starter macrumors member

Guys just to know, are fonts on macbook pro 15 AG even smaller then on macbook pro 13? Or same, or bigger?

25. 2hvy4grvty macrumors 6502

You should never run off non-native resolution. Change DPI, use whatever the mac equivalent of ctrl + scroll is on windows (I mainly bootcamp), but changing native resolution is one of the worst things you can do to the entire experience of any high quality screen, and it's even a huge strain on your eyes (your eyes tries to focus the blurry letters, but obviously can't).

IMO, 1680 x 1050 is perfect for the 15 inch. My buddy has an old XPS with 1920x1200, and I find that somewhat unbearable. And the new 16:9 ratios all blow.

But alas, my preferences are not yours. More vertical pixels are important in multitasking and productivity, but if you're forcing non-native resolution, that's a complete waste. If you want 1440x900, get 1440x900. If you want anti-glare, get an anti-glare cover/protector/use sandpaper on screen (latter might void warranty!).