will be walking (not driving) in Sweden: how would TomTom and Navigon compare?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by malch, Oct 26, 2009.

1. malch macrumors 6502

Hi,
    I'll be walking, not driving, around Sweden in December. I have an iPhone, and have been waiting to get either Navigon (I know it's been well-reviewed on this forum) or TomTom (considering only because with the car base unit I'm thinking I might get better reception).
    Would both of these work equally well if I'm on foot, in Europe? Do both iPhone apps come with European as well as North American apps?
    thanks for any advice,
    Malcolm

2. tboooe macrumors regular

a little late I know but i was just in Europe (Italy and Switz). While walking around I exclusively used the Maps app on the iphone. It worked great! It found all the points of interest I searched for and the walking directions were very good. Be aware that the battery will drain very fast using any of the navigation apps. I got a Mophie Juice Pak Air which greatly extended the battery life. I was able to use my iphone all day without worry of my battery draining down.

Good luck and have fun on your trip!

3. malch thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks very much tboooe. The thing is, I eventually want something like TomTom or Navigon because I like the idea of turn-by-turn help, even driving around my home town here in Canada. So I might commit to one or the other of those sooner rather than later. If I delay, though, I now know that the Maps app will get me by.
    Cheers, malch