Will Best Buy replace my iPad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rockinmorockin, Apr 24, 2011.

1. rockinmorockin macrumors member

I got one from there several days ago. There are two dead white pixels. When the screen is white, you can see two faint white circles on the screen. It's annoying while surfing the web and using ibooks. It isn't like my iPad doesn't work, but I didn't pay $500+ to have defects on my screen. I either want a new one or my money back. Anybody tell me how Bestbuy handles this?

It looks similar to this but they are smaller and there are two. They don't stand out nearly as much as this, but I have an eye for detail so it annoys me.

http://www.9to5mac.com/56297/for-so...ight-bleeding-and-speckles-in-the-glass/glow/

2. Socratic macrumors member

depends how old it is. they might just do repair process.

3. rockinmorockin thread starter macrumors member

i got it 5 days ago and they have a 14 day return policy

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Should be able to just exchange it if you just bought it.

5. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

If it's within 14 days you can return it. Just tell them it's defective. That's not a problem at all.

6. marine0816 macrumors 6502a

marine0816

WorstBuy is horrible with returns. They'll con you into buying their protection plan and when your stuff breaks their favorite line is "we don't cover that" never trust teenagers in wrinked khakis...

7. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

8. number84 macrumors 6502

9. laurenr macrumors 6502a

My husband also bought his at Best Buy, had problems a week after purchase, but did not bother taking it back there for a replacement. He headed straight for the Apple Store; they ordered him a new one, which he picked up 3 days later.

10. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

11. rockinmorockin thread starter macrumors member

Say best buy doesn't work out...do I have to schedule an appointment at an apple store or can I just walk in? And what's the apple stores return policy?

12. rockinmorockin thread starter macrumors member

How did that work out? Did you leave the store with a new one?

13. aristobrat macrumors G4

Apples return policy is 14 days. But you didn't buy from Apple, so you can't return it there. (return=refund)

Apple will service it there (under the 1-year warranty), no matter where you bought it from. You'll use their Genius Bar to do that, and if you make a online reservation in advance, you should wait significantly less than if you walk in without a reservation.

They don't actually work on iPads in the store, so they'll swap you for a warranty replacement that may or may not be refurbished. If it is a refurb, it will come in a new exterior shell with a brand new battery and you shouldn't be able to visibly tell it's not brand new.

If you absolutely want a brand new replacement, return yours to BB for a refund and buy a new one.

14. rockinmorockin thread starter macrumors member

So if I exchanged my iPad for another one at best buy it will be a used one? Is that why I should get my money back and not just exchange it for another?

15. aristobrat macrumors G4

The only possibility of getting a refurb one is by going to the Genius Bar at the Apple Store for warranty service.

If you exchange yours at BB within the 14-day return window, it will be brand new. The risk you run there is that they may not have any in stock and they'll have to give you a refund and you'll have to hunt a new one down elsewhere.

16. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Not sure why you're asking the outcome of every possible scenario, as you already answered your question - you are still WITHIN your BB return period, so just return it there.

Haven't you ever returned anything at a store? If you want an exchange, it will be a new item. If not, get your cash and go.

17. rockinmorockin thread starter macrumors member

i actually haven't...i'm only 18 though.

if i got my cash back will it include the tax though? lol not to sound cheap but the ipad was 499.99 but 554 with tax.

18. LDTaylor85 macrumors member

No,they keep the tax. :)

19. robertk328 macrumors regular

robertk328

You'll get the tax back, in the U.S. at least.

20. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Someone just answered their own question :rolleyes:

21. rockinmorockin thread starter macrumors member

Ended up getting my money back. If I get another iPad 2 it won't be for a couple months. The HTC Flyer or Xoom might be an option down the line.

22. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

95% of all BB employees are idiots or have no knowledge.

You should visit Walmart, it's cool

23. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

And everything is half the price. Honestly, the only reason I ever go to Best Buy is to buy something with a price match from somewhere else.