Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
After installing the beta i started wondering if they will be testing the OTA updates for beta testers or wait until the actual release. Man, just thinking of that alone makes it so much easier now to update now compared to the past!

California King

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2007
Don't think so. I don't even think OTA updates were enabled in this beta. It just says no network connection when I press on it.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
I wondered this too...

Since it sounds like a no, how often do they usually release beta updates? And what is the process of installing/updating them? I'd hate to have to do an entire backup/restore every time...

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
I wondered this too...

Since it sounds like a no, how often do they usually release beta updates? And what is the process of installing/updating them? I'd hate to have to do an entire backup/restore every time...

Over the past 3 years i have been installing the betas and this is what i remember, betas were released every 2-3 weeks and were almost always released released on Tuesdays, usually between 10am-6pm eastern time. Beta 3 is usually were the OS has most of the bugs worked out and any features that are supposed to be in the official released are put into beta 3 if they were not in the previous versions. Last year though there was a huge wait i think between beta 2 and 3(about 5 or 6 weeks i think) if i am remembering correctly.

This year may be different though as we are seemingly 4 months from the official release. In previous years the betas were released in mid to late April giving only 2 months worth of testing. The schedule now may spread out a lot more, maybe 1 beta per month depending on how things progress...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.