Will better components quieten my Macbook Fan?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by knight42, Dec 18, 2009.

1. knight42 macrumors newbie

Hey all

I have a Black Macbook 2.4 with the stock hard drive and 2gb of RAM running Leopard.

The machine is pretty good at most things, but the fan is becoming annoying as it ramps up even when according to the stats, the Macbook is not under that much strain.

I know that there are 100s of threads about laptop fans and I know its just something I have to live with really, but I have two choose between either fixing the macbook up with some new components or buying a Macbook Pro 17 (when the new ones come out!) and I just wanted peoples views really.

I assumed that most of the fan noise was because of the processor being taxed. It comes on when large chunks of video are involved and obviously the Macbook doesnt have the best graphics in the world, so i know its passing a lot to the processor, but im actually starting to think that with a little more RAM-upto 4gb, a faster harddrive (Intel SSD maybe?) and an upgrade to Snow Leopard, the fan noise may calm down a little. Am I mad? Id like someone to tell me before I waste my money.

Ive posted some images of the stats from the Macbook when the fans are fully on and am hoping someone can tell me if these are normal!

I realize all of those upgrades are great for performance generally, and the SSD could be moved into a new machine, but didnt want to waste money on RAM and Snow Leopard if im going to buy a new machine in a few months,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks to anyone who can help!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

RAM will not help you run your Mac cooler, just more fluent. Snow Leopard might bring the fans down a notch because better handling of some video formats.

SL is only 29$ so it is not entirely wasted if it doesn't work out.

Have you looked at Activity Monitor with all process being shown how much some process tax the CPU? And how much rpm have the fans?

You can also give FanControl for Mac a go, as you can set the fan speed in relation to temperature,

[​IMG]

http://www.lobotomo.com/products/FanControl/

3. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

A reboot may help free up some of that RAM...which in turn would take load off the hard drive, which could cool things down a bit.

More RAM would definitely help though.