Will blocking all ports with silicon rubber cause overheating?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by katewes, Jun 19, 2013.

1. katewes macrumors 6502

I bought this cheap $1 kit from eBay of small pieces of silicon rubber shaped to fit into all the port openings, e.g. USB port, microphone socket, Thunderbolt ports etc.

Before installing, it occurred to me to ask whether these ports are actually needed for air-inlets when the fan is in use, or whether the air comes in through other inlets.

I wonder if using these type of silicon rubber seals - which are intended to minimise the ingress of dust - would cause over-heating.

I heard that build-up of dust inside the computer, over the years, can result in damage to the motherboard and other parts.

Then again, if air can enter through other inlets for cooling purposes, then it means dust would be entering those other inlets.

I'm now questioning the benefit of using this kit. Besides, it's only $1 per kit, not a great loss.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, the ports are not used for ventilation. For all Mac notebooks except the MBP-Retina, both intake and exhaust has always been through the vents in the rear near the hinge. The new MBP-Retina has intake vents along the sides at the bottom and exhaust through the rear vents, near the hinge.

Learn about the fans in your Mac

3. pnyc macrumors 6502

No the ports are not needed for air-inlet. The air(and dust) comes in thru a slit between the display assembly and the unibody, if you take a look under the black plastic that covers the inlet you'll be able to see the holes where the air comes in.

On a side note the plugs will do little to protect against dust. The ports are situated flush against against the aluminum body and the connectors soldered to the pcb inside the computer have little to no holes or openings. Whatever dust particles might drift into the computer via the ports, are nothing compared to all the crap that gets in thru the slit in the back.