Will Blue Ray come to the Mini?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by md63, Jan 5, 2008.

1. md63 macrumors 6502

I've been using my mini as a DVD player and HTPC. Just got a PS3 for Christmas primarily to play Blue Ray DVDs with gaming secondary. With the recent news and rumors do you thing Blue Ray will be coming to a Mini any time soon? I would return the PS3 if a mini would be available with Blue Ray.

Thanks

2. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

3. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Don't count on it in 08. Mac Mini's last update was from Core Duo to Core 2 Duo! Never mind Santa Rosa, x3100, Blu Ray and whatnot. It's always the last in the pack.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Unlikely before it's introduced in the rest of of the line first. If introduced, progression will be:
    Mac Pro
    MacBook Pro or iMac
    MacBook
    Mac Mini

You can always buy a sot loading Blu-Ray drive, but it'll be expensive.

5. gotzero macrumors 68040

There was an announcement a little while ago that someone had made a slot-loading 9.5mm drive. You will pay through the nose but you will probably be able to do it.

The lack of HDCP will be a problem if you want to watch movies with it. I am looking forward to them for data storage...

6. thesdx macrumors 6502a

I don't think Blu-Ray will hit the Mini for a very, very long time. Blu-Ray needs to become a dominant standard before it gets put in low-end computers. It's just like how DVD-R never used to come standard in computers. Now, since DVD is the dominant form of movie media, it's on everything.

7. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

I think a more realistic question will be "Can the Mac Mini support 4GB of ram in the year of 2008?"

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The Mac mini and Macbook still ship with Combo Drives. :rolleyes:

9. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

I was just thinking that too lol, soooo cheap of Apple. I'd expect the Mini will disappear before there's a chance it will get BluRay or any other HD DVD format.

10. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

and I'm glad, as I never burn DVDs... and rarely watch them. I wouldn't expect a Blu Ray BURNER in a Mini or MacBook... ever. :D

11. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I could see something being sold more as a high-end apple TV rather than a mini. It might have to be a bit bigger in footprint, but I really could see it happening-- the sort of apple-dvr-uber tv thing we've all been waiting for. But I don't think it would be cheap, unless apple's serious about making money with rentals.