Will Bluetooth keyboard and mouse on iMac without OS X?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by lordking65, Aug 1, 2013.

1. lordking65 macrumors regular

Hey guys,

So I was planning on replacing my hard drive on my iMac with two SSDs in RAID 0 then do the whole "make recovery USB and restore from time machine," but since this is an entirely new hard drive with no OS on it, will my wireless mouse and keyboard be able to automatically connect so I can reach the Startup Manager by pressing Option or C on boot up? Will i need a wired keyboard to reach that menu?

I have Mountain Lion on a Mid 2011 iMac.

Thanks,

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

You are doing it the hard way, why not create a bootable clone using SuperDuper or Carbon Copy cloner and restore from that. Then you know for sure the wireless keyboard and mouse will work OK. Simply boot from the clone and restore from that!

3. lordking65 thread starter macrumors regular

So if I use carbon copy cloner to copy my iMac's hard drive to my back up external HDD, replace my hard drive with the two SSDs, the CCC backup will boot automatically from my little USB 2.0 external hard drive since there is no OS on on the SSDs inside my iMac?

Would that take longer since it has to boot my entire OS with all my files in it through the USB 2.0 port on the imac?