Will Bootcamp support 3TB Fusion?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by chelch, Dec 14, 2012.

1. chelch macrumors regular

The only thing stopping me from ordering a new iMac is the decision between 1TB Fusion and 3TB Fusion...

I've read the other threads but I'm wondering what others have done:

Ordered the 1TB?
    Ordered the 3TB and know a way around it?
    Ordered the 3TB and are waiting for an update to Bootcamp?

Has anyone heard if Bootcamp will support the 3TB?

Thanks in advance!

2. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Bootcamp won't work drives > 2.2TB. Based on the fundamentals of the problem, I'm not sure there is a way to fix it on the current hardware.

3. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

4. Adam552 macrumors 6502

Surely you could always get rid of the fusion drive. Split SSD so you have a small windows partition (like 30GB?). Then refuse the drives with the first partition on SSD and the HDD. That possible? Ima wasn't bothered about fusion so I've just got a normal 1tb HDD coming lol.

5. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Yes you can do that, I have done it on a Mac Mini in which I had installed a 240GB SSD along with the hard disk. I just Fusion joined the SSD "DiskPartitionID" with the HD "DiskID" and it works fine. Windows is on a SSD partition not part of the Fusion drive.

I suspect you can do the same thing with the 3TB drive using the TwoCanoes technique above and using the "DiskPartitionID" of the first partition on the 3TB hard drive. I think the tiny 128GB SSD is too small to subdivide for 2 operating systems. Too bad they don't offer a larger SSD as part of a Fusion setup.

-howard

6. chelch thread starter macrumors regular