Will bootcamp (win7) run properly if I transplant the drive to another mac?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Cloud9, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Cloud9 macrumors regular

I want to install bootcamp and win 7 on a hard drive on mbp c2d 2.44 and then after trying it out, transplant that drive into my mbp c2d 3.02. Will this work? Will windows not run properly? Since the system will be different will the drivers all go crazy etc? My goal is to test it out on my old laptop then transplant the drive to my newer laptop and install and play a couple games. Would love to hear any advice. Thanks.

2. vistadude macrumors 65816

The drivers will very likely be a problem. If you're worried about sharing a single key, you can use windows 7 for 30 days without activation. Install on your test laptop but don't activate. Then remove the partition and install to the newer laptop and activate after everything installs okay.

3. Cloud9 thread starter macrumors regular

Both my laptops have have the optical drive removed and I've put hdd's in their place. I wanted to transplant the drive to me newer laptop anyway because its larger then the one I have in their currently. But your right, the drivers will be the issue so I should just do it in one go on my newer laptop after I have the drive transplanted.

4. AlexJD macrumors newbie

I tried with my iMac to my MacBook Pro with Winclone, windows worked but the programs I wanted to didn't transfer their licences.. autodesk family.