Will bumper cover or case affect iPhone 4 noise cancelling mic?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bigbrowntruck, Jun 18, 2010.

1. bigbrowntruck macrumors member

The 2nd noise canceling microphone on the new iPhone 4 is located on the top of the unit. Wondering if bumper covers and cases covering this will affect the noise cancelling. I would guess it would. Any thoughts?

2. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

If you look at close up shots of the bumper, it shows a hole on the top of it for the noise mic.

3. Goaliegeek macrumors 6502a

Goaliegeek

Funny. I was just looking at the bumpers on the Apple Store site and was looking at the 2nd mic. There is a hole on the top in the bumper so the mic is not blocked, but idk if the noise it picks up would be affected.

4. fuzion macrumors 6502

I could see a 3rd party company doing this but apple wouldn't create an accessory that dampens functionality! :)

5. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

6. bigbrowntruck thread starter macrumors member

I was just checking it out on apple store and saw the mic hole. Something to careful of if ordering cheap knock off bumpers.

7. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

Yep I can see some lesser accessory companies forgetting that mic.

8. sonictonic macrumors 6502a

This is another reason I love the bumpers... since they are from Apple they did not forget a single detail and the fit is PERFECT.

9. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

Im hoping it doesnt mess with my power support screen when I FINALLY get it.

Oh, and I hope it fits in my older (modified) charger stand once put on the phone. my modified charger currently holds my phone with my leather case on.

The new iPhone 4 OEM charger stands doesnt look like they will fit with the bumper on the phone. IMHO.

10. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

11. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

FINALLY! ! !

Some pre thought designs!

Accessories NEVER get thought through production-to-user.

Yessss!

Thanks!

(but a white phone??? Tsk Tsk!!)
    haha

12. Jason B macrumors regular

I just got my IPhone 4 and hate this noise cancellation!

Is there a way to turn this off??? I used to do this all the time when using my 3Gs. I'd call someone and put it them speakerphone. Then I would play some music or somthing wanted the other caller to hear on the other end. With the IPhone 4, it now blocks it out completely! They can't hear anything with this noise cancellation mic!

I use speakerphone all the time for business. Say I call someone and want to play a voice memo for them while on the call, now it mutes it out all they can't hear the memo. Please tell me there is a setting to "turn off" the noise cancellation mic??? I can't find one.

I play stuff all the time when I have someone on speaker. Whether I'm letting someone listen to a funny youtube video, a portion of a mp3 song, or an app that I want the other person to hear. Darn!