Will bumpers protect iPhone4 glass from shattering when dropped??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iTerpRunner, Jun 30, 2010.

1. iTerpRunner macrumors newbie

To those of you who were able to get your hands on an iPhone4 bumper AND accidentally dropped it, did it actually protect the glass from cracking?

I am so overly paranoid about not dropping the phone because of all the posts I have been seeing about a shattered screen (front and/or back). :eek: The scary thing also is that I used to own a 3GS and have dropped it with a case several times so I am SURE at some point one day over the next year or two, something will happen:(

2. thetonyclifton macrumors regular

Impossible to tell, but a case which covers the corners like that obviously offers more protection than without.

3. mzd macrumors 6502a

it would really depend on the fall and the position and surface on which it landed. if it landed flat on a hard surface, i would think so. but if it landed on a surface with enough texture (gravel for example) for something to come in contact with the glass then no. the bumpers only add a few millimeters of space between a surface and the glass.

4. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

be more careful. problem solved. i have never bought an electronic product based on its ability to not break when dropped so I might not have offered you the advice you wanted to hear.

5. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

Bumpers would address face down falls on perfectly flat surfaces (tables, tile floors, etc.), but not anything w/ bumps or the like *as the poster above mentions*

Bumpers would also help a good deal w/ scratches.

You need a true case if you are concerned w/ dropping - and even that adds a comfort factor to the back but not so much the front.

Unless you want to put your phone in something that looks like a tank (think Otterbox Defender), you have to just be careful w/ these things.

For me, I have a bumper but am waiting on a Speck Candyshell to arrive. Its going to boost the girth of my phone, but will give me more comfort in using it as I'm adding gobs more durability to it.

6. Sedin macrumors member

This isn't the first time I have seen this type of thread. I do recall one or two people chiming in that they have dropped their phones with the bumper on and reporting no damage to their phones. I'm sure if you do a search you'll find these threads and replies.

7. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

For the record I already dropped my (with a bumper on) phone. Landed on a stepstool, than flopped onto my Lino floor. No damage, everything held up fine.

I almost threw up watching it fall though ...