Will buying 3GS from Apple Store Online automatically cancel my existing iPhone data?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by endeffect, Jan 5, 2010.

1. endeffect macrumors newbie

So, I want to buy a 32GB iPhone 3GS online instead of heading to AT&T locally which will replace the iPhone 3G I am using now. Will Apple/AT&T automatically cancel the data plan on this iPhone 3G and switch it over to the 3GS? I don't want to look at my bill next month and end up having to pay double the data plans because AT&T was being stupid.

2. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

No you wont have double the fees. The bill will be the same except for an extra activation fee.

3. endeffect thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the quick reply! If I may ask, how do you know this information? Also, how soon after the purchase will my iPhone 3G's data turn off, and will I see an activation fee only online or if I go to the local AT&T as well?

4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

If you are replacing the 3G, i.e. moving the phone number to your 3GS, then your 3G will cease to work.

5. aneftp macrumors 68040

huh? I think you meant to say if you take the ATT SIM (assuming poster is from the US). So if you take out ATT sim from 3G and put it in 3GS iphone, the phone function on the old iphone 3G will cease to work.

Once any iPhone 2nd generation (aka iphone 3G) or 3rd generation (aka iPhone 3G S) has been activated, it will accepted any ATT SIM.

Without ATT SIM in the old iPhone 3G, the "ipod/internet via wifi" will still function.

I actually use my 32GB iPhone 3GS without a SIM and the best thing about it is I can still make wifi Skype phone calls without the SIM card in it.